Virus protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
My subscription to Norton/ Symantec runs out in a few weeks. Can anyone suggest a better av service? I am happy with what i've got but its always worth looking around. I also have a ZoneAlarm (free) firewall plus whatever firewall is in my Netgear router. I'm running XP.

I'm away for a couple of days so I'm not ignoring any responses, but won't be around til Sunday.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, used to run Norton and if you're happy with it you'll be amazed with AVG. Get it from www.grisoft.com
There is a free verson that works very well by all accounts, but would suggest the pro package. It's only about $20USD for 2 years, 24/7 email support (and they'll reply within an hour or so). But best of all, unlike Norton, does not take up 50% of your HD, updates are very quick (I've dial-up), far friendlier interface and much cheaper than Norton. Go for it. Also have ZoneAlarm. Very compatible.

Rgds

Noel

Grisoft no longer do a FREE version of its AVG software but it is quite cheap.

I've had real trouble with Grissoft, I was fixing up a mates PC, that was "going a bit slow". Turns out it had a virus on it, that Grissoft didn't recognise. In the end, I installed a 1 month trial version of one of the big ones, found the virus, deleted it, and then uninstalled said application as he didn't want to pay the extra and I didn't want the conflict of two virus checkers running for the rest of the month.

I had downloaded the "latest" signatures from Grisoft etc. I can't remember what the cirus was but it was quite a common one - I found references to it all over the net, and every other checker got it.

For me, that means I'll never touch Grisoft again.

Adam

I'm a bit disappointed in AVG too; things get extremely slow when it's doing a scan, noticeably so when downloading email. I'm sticking with it for the moment, but also trying Avast!*, which I'd barely know was there at all if it wasn't for the frequent information that it's updated the database again. Free for personal use and I like it lots.

Incidentally, regarding firewalls. For some reason I could never get on with ZoneAlarm but I'm now trying Kerio which seems much less intrusive. Any of you knowledgable folks know anything about it? It seems so hassle-free I'm wondering if it's doing any good at all! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Ideal for International Speak Like a Pirate Day...

I'm using AVG, which has never let me down so far (touch wood :wink:). I did try Avast once but found it was incompatible with my ZoneAlarm firewall.

Gill

I can recommend Bit Defender which has received numerous Awards.

Advertising blurb from the website...
BitDefender is both ICSA certified and holds the coveted VB100% certification, meaning that it will detect all "in the wild" viruses during both on-demand and on-access scanning and will generate no false positives when scanning a set of clean files. BitDefender will automaticalyl check for virus definition updates every 3 hours!

It is small, fast, effective and unobtrusive! The later is important to me as I can't abide popups etc ever time I gat a dodgy piece of spam in.

Cheers

Alan

Tim

I can recommend ZoneAlarm Professional (or the paid version..whatever it's called now).

It works perfectly well with the paid up version of AVG...and IMHO if you have AVG running and don't introduce programs via floppy disks or CDs then there IS no reason to run a separate scan...since it will filter all your incoming emails...unless you're using some webbased thingy in which case 'yer on yer own :lol: '. I use Outlook (not express) and AVG works exceedingly well with that.

I use SpamBayes (free) which works seamlessly with Outlook as well.
I then use WebAlert to fend off spyware and trojans etc.
None of the above consume vast computer resources as they only get called into action when they are needed.

Your router firewall is slightly different from software based ones. Essentially it is hiding your computer from the Internet.

If you want me to check your computer just give me your IP address and I'll hack into you, if you like :wink: :twisted:

I have Sophos anti-virus (our works licence covers for home use also) and find it great - it also seems to get good reviews.
And ZoneAlarm as a firewall.
And PestPatrol (purchased version) for pests and trojans
And AdAware to stop adware/spyware

Sometimes,I think there are two self-supporting industries out there - one installing rubbish on your computer,another making products to remove them (or am I just getting sceptical in my old age ?)

Back