Virus problem?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I sent a link of an item from this forum to a friend in Australia a couple of days ago, but is Hotmail refused to open the link only my message. The reason is Hotmail alerted a virus content. My impression was that this was not a potential virus threat but real.
I don't want to cause a scare but does this site have any protections in place?

Depends what you mean, I reckon it's a question for Charley - but did you link to a post with a URL, or anctually uploaded and sent a document you found somwhere off this site. I reckon the chances of this site being able to infect your email are almost zero, but the chances you PC has been infected though another means is much more likely. Certianly I view this site via my company PC and it has never flagged a problem, and also the company Charley uses to host the site almost certainly routinely scan all their servers for virus.

Has your PC got adequate anti-virus software, a comprehensive firewall, and been patched with all the latest updates from Microsoft?

[Edit} Sorry, lots of that isn't relevant, its only the link, not the email itself - I reckon either, its something to do with his broswer, or software, or hotmail is having a tizzy, when you send a link to a hotmail address, hotmail insists on opening it in a new frame, with loads of microsoft gubbins inthe address bar. I'd get him to type it in directly, cut and pasting does not work in this cirumstance, as it picks up all the microsoft stuff as well.

Adam

I have upto date anti virus software and also updated the latest Microsoft site stuff last week. ( the sasser stuff etc.)
I sent the item from a members web page using the "send this link" option at the top of internet screen under FILE .
My message was accepted by recipient only the page content could not be seen.

devonwoody said:
but is Hotmail refused to open the link only my message. The reason is Hotmail alerted a virus content. My impression was that this was not a potential virus threat but real.
quote]
Hotmail and Outlook Express are set by default to issue a pop alert when links and attachments are added to emails,this is to alert you of possible virus etc, you can if you wish to view links and attachments sent to you by going into tools on the main menu bar and selecting to do so.
Hope this helps.
Regards John

Hi, I'm not 100% sure why this has happened. To my knowledge the only time when a normal html or php file shows up as a *virus* is when they have dodgy javascript in (the sort that doesn't let you close your browser.) and I can assure you that there arn't. I've even disabled it so no member can use javascript in there posts.

The two things that spring to mind are your computer is infected and the virus attached it self to your attachment or as Fixit suggests hotmail was just warning your friend that it *may* include a virus (the same thing happens on AOL too)

Sorry devonwoody just re-read your second post - did the link go to the UKW forum or a members website?

The link was sent direct from the members own website.
However my friend in Australia has climbed down and says perhaps it was only a potential virus threat. He visited the site direct in question and received no nasty setbacks.

Back