virus info requested please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My desktop computer has Trend micro killin virus software and downloads upgrades most days.
My new laptop has Norton anti virus (3 month freebie) but over the past 7 days has not been used on the web and this morning I requested a live update. There was hardly anything to to install (around two folders total about 500kbs)

Why does Trend have so many more virus downloads upgrades than Norton?

Hi DW

Some Norton antivirus products only seem to have their virus definitions files made available for update on a weekly basis whereas others have them available on a daily basis - my experience has been that the stand-alone Norton AntiVirus products (e.g. Norton AntiVirus 2005, Norton AntiVirus 2006 etc) get daily virus definition updates, whereas the antivirus engine within Norton Internet Security 2005 (which came pre-installed on SWMBOs new Dell machine) only seems to get weekly updates (despite my manually running LiveUpdate every day).

I wouldnt pay any attention to the relevant size of the downloaded update files between Trend & Norton - it may well be that Trends definition files arent as compact as Nortons.

Richard

I subscribe to this newsletter. They occasionally refer to web based research companies that track how well the individual anti-virus companies track or respond to new viruses.

If you do subscribe then be warned. You'll probably want to dump your PC and get a Mac! :twisted:

[email protected]

Tibbs, & Roger,
Thank you for the info, however Tibbs when you go for a live update daily are there any updates? Or is it a case that they will only be available on a 7 day basis?

Hi DW

I've had a poke around the Symantec website & found this document which suggests its the newness of the app rather than the type that dictates whether it uses daily updated virus defs or weekly updated ones.

How often are LiveUpdate definitions updated?
- That depends on the antivirus program that you use.

- If you use Norton AntiVirus 2005 or earlier or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0 or earlier, LiveUpdate definitions are updated weekly. The exception is major outbreaks, when definitions are updated more often.

- If you use Norton AntiVirus 2006 or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, LiveUpdate definitions are updated daily. These products include newer technology.

So it looks like you need a 2006 product to get the daily updates (which is what I'm seeing with NAV2006) whereas if you have a 2005 or earlier product you only get weekly updates (which is what I'm seeing with SWMBOs Norton Internet Security 2005).

This morning both products are showing 17/01/2006 as the last Update date (because the weekly ones are released on a Wednesday apparently)

Even with the earlier products I think its still worth checking LiveUpdate every day in case an interim update has been made due to a 'major outbreak'

Richard

Back