Virtual shopping at Wickes and B & Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
I know things are difficult but I need some roofing lats - got on the website to Wickes - I was in a queue before allowed to virtual shop 45min ! no thank you , did the same for B & Q in the queue no time just more than an hour. Hope things get back to normal soon and this Virus gets a cure.

How do you stand collecting it being a non essential trip?

Misses ordered some soil/compost etc for the greenhouse and is picking it up on the way back from work. Hopefully the nurses uniform works when she gets pulled over at the various roadblock around our village... :roll:

Make sure she has the apron with the red cross on and the whisk is in the door bin

on the subject of B&Q they are doing click and collect but for people like me nothing. I have been trying to get 800L of compost for a month and can't get any as I can't go past the bloody gate

Just picked up an item from Toolstation on C&C basis whilst on a shopping trip to Sainsburys just round the corner.

I’ll guess that once you get to the front of the online queue, you’ll find it’s virtual stock as well.

Geoff_S":xvb4ck5o said:
I’ll guess that once you get to the front of the online queue, you’ll find it’s virtual stock as well.

Even if not, I guess it will be virtually unusable if it is timber.

I've tries a Wickes a few times, much as I hate them generally, I leave the queue window running in corner of screen and go full screen when a minute from the front. On each occasion as soon as I've got to the front its given a 404 website not found error so I gave up.

The Government has specifically said that stores of some types can stay open, hard to understand then why the Police are pleased-as-punch to be turning people back from click and collect. We need a proper policy, not the random interpretation of what may or may not be essential in the judgement of a local plod.

RogerS":3cpyc47e said:
Richard_C":3cpyc47e said:
...., hard to understand then why the Police are pleased-as-punch to be turning people back from click and collect. .....

Bit OTT comment ? 400 cars queuing to get into B&Q needs 'managing'
Especially when it's full of people buying compost or whatever.

Essential is not a complex term to understand.

compost is essential to me, I live in a flat and have to use raised planters to grow veg, but in saying that I want it delivered not to go an get it

My local allotment society sells compost. Maybe yours does also?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Especially when it's full of people buying compost or whatever.

Essential is not a complex term to understand.[/quote]

Compost comes under essential items. You can’t buy non essential items at B&Q as you can’t add them to your basket.....

sammy.se":ndms3pzi said:
My local allotment society sells compost. Maybe yours does also?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

been there, there are a lot of groups and things but all have suspended delivery

No problem with traffic management, but many police forces have been interpreting the regulations in their own way.

I have taken the view that if I go to store which is allowed to open in order to get essentials, I can buy whatever they have for sale. Tesco for bread and milk, and while I'm there if they are selling DVDs and newspapers then that's fine. Here in Cambridgeshire the Police have been saying some very odd things, implying that one shouldn't do that. There was a Downing Street clarification on 10 April confirming the view I have taken. B&Q, a tap washer or light bulb might be essential but it's open so it can sell anything on its shelves. Mental health is pretty important, and if we are helped along by sowing a few seeds in compost why not? Food is essential, compost+seeds in April = food in summer. Newspapers are not essential but the Government specifically said the industry can carry on.

Last week, in a very odd event reported in the hospital staff newsletter, Cambridgeshire Police had been stopping and checking cars going to Addenbrookes Hospital challenging people to say why their journey was essential and not accepting NHS badges as sufficient evidence. It's not force policy the Chief Constable 'clarified' (no apology), most likely an over zealous or just plain dim constable making up rules on the spot.

Like this: https://twitter.com/grandad1975/status/ ... 6563631104

Which is just plain wrong, the regulations specifically permit:

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

So once more a Chief Constable had to clarify and, through gritted teeth, apologize to the family.

Which comes back to my original point - we do have a health crisis, we do have people dying, something must be done. But it shouldn't be up to the judgement of an individual Police Officer or to any of us on this forum to say what is or is not essential for anyone else. Just give us clear country-wide rules. Tap washers yes, compost no, lightbulbs yes, drill bits no, bread yes, vodka no ... I don't really care as long as its clear and people are not 'publicly shamed' for doing what they believe to be OK. The Police have been granted a lot of power, most are using it responsibly but some are not.

Anyway this is so far off the original topic that it's my turn to apologize. Back to my original-original point, Wickes website was hopeless when I tried to use it.

Richard_C":1b2g4rdc said:
.... Back to my original-original point, Wickes website was hopeless when I tried to use it.

I see where you're coming from Richard and agree 100%. Regarding Wickes?

Just after lockdown started I ordered 11 sheets of 9mm plywood for delivery. All paid for and agreed. A few days later I realised I also needed some 18mm ply (5 sheets) and the Carlisle branch had some in stock but Wickes was now click'n'collect. Thought I'd check my delivery was still OK. Yup, it was. Coming from our Carlisle branch. Any chance you could put 5 sheets of 18mm ply on for me ? No.

I suppose with a great deal of glue and squintillions of clamps you could turn 10 sheets of 9mm into 5 sheets of 18mm, but then you would only have 1 sheet of 9mm :D

Wickes new mission statement "Giving every assistance possible short of actually helping" ?

Having been scathing about Wickes a couple of weeks ago I should add some balance. Still don't like them per se but ....

My need for decking is real - its not a 'fun deck' its the way out of the back of the house. Should have done it in Autumn but thought if I can wait till spring I am getting another free year out of it. We know what happened.

I put all thoughts aside, but its now cracking alarmingly and normal may be weeks away. I had another look round and yesterday found the Wickes website working well, with most stuff in stock. Order placed, earliest delivery slot 3 weeks hence.

So in fairness to them and to all, maybe a useful source.

Back