virginmedia tv price rise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Notified today that virgin are upping their charges on the TV operation so ditching their vbox etc.

I get good aerial reception here in Devon, so what do I need to record tv programs these days (digital).

Your machine recommendations appreciated.

Humax - had them for many years.
Just upgraded to a 1Tb HD version ready for tomorrow's switch over.
They have been a Which "best buy " for many years.

Rod

devonwoody":3vyhrdr7 said:
Notified today that virgin are upping their charges on the TV operation so ditching their vbox etc.

I get good aerial reception here in Devon, so what do I need to record tv programs these days (digital).

How much has it gone up to

gardenshed":2sio93jd said:
devonwoody":2sio93jd said:

How much has it gone up to

They were attempting to up the cost of the TV & vbox section from £10.05 to £14.10 per month. Aerial reception is good down here and we are only the five channel users, so have dropped that section and I pay £30. per month now for broadband and 200 minutes telephone calls to any number in the world less 09 numbers.

So will look for that Humax deal, (have got a Sony recorder in the bedroom meantime)

Virgin will usually go for a price increase June each year in addition to above.
I have usually negotiated this away with discounts, perhaps they were getting ready for me this year. :wink:

With my free TV this year, I didnt intend giving it to mr. Branson. :p

Went and looked at some Humax models, but I want something that records at least two programs at the same time independently to the one being watched like my vbox.

Any clues?

devonwoody":3ir3op6e said:
Went and looked at some Humax models, but I want something that records at least two programs at the same time independently to the one being watched like my vbox.

Any clues?

If your TV already has Freeview tuner then you can record two on the Humax and watch another on TV tuner.

Only ever had the desire to do this once and that was to record something for someone else, not our normal viewing preference.

Thanks Chas. yes our sony has built in tuners. We watch very little live tv these days, and our main menu are real life type interest programs, many of these seem to clash with other channels and not at premium viewing times.

However more your age advances I find more viewing seems to be the norm?

3 tuner boxers are a rarity - most aftermarket sat\aerial ones are 2 at best.

You could always ring up and see what they'll do in terms of discount? I pay around £28 for 20MB, TV & phone. Rather pay Branson than Murdoch.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs-h":xu33bfrp said:
3 tuner boxers are a rarity - most aftermarket sat\aerial ones are 2 at best.

You could always ring up and see what they'll do in terms of discount? I pay around £28 for 20MB, TV & phone. Rather pay Branson than Murdoch.

HIH

Dibs

Thats a nice one dibs. however they work your price up over the years, been with them since the beginning and they get harder, hence I am dropping them this year, perhaps they will come round as in the past!

I've found that with VM and similar service providers that you get the best retentions deals if you ask to speak to 'disconnections' or a similar department. They usually have the greatest negotiation power compared with the normal helpdesk folk.

Bob

Sorry forgot to mention - each time I ring up, I ask for the disconnections department. As Bob says - they have greater bargaining power.

Dibs

As CHJ said the Humax will record 2 Channels at the same time. And with the Guide, Scheduled recording with the numerous repeats it is very difficult to miss a programme.
Often if the TV channel is "similar " you can often record 2 and watch a 3rd?
The new Humaxs have iPlayer built in so you can catch up with that too.

Rod

Harbo":1qatzdik said:
Often if the TV channel is "similar " you can often record 2 and watch a 3rd?
That'll be if it's on the same multiplex (group of channels). I'd guess it depends on the STB whether you can do that.

To explain in simple terms (I hope):
With analogue TV (and radio), each TV channel is broadcast on it's own frequency. When you change channel you change the frequency to which your TV is tuned.
With digital TV each TV channel is broadcast in a multiplex. Each multiplex is broadcast on its own frequency (1). Each multiplex consists of several TV channels. These channels have been compressed digitally and are now just data. When you change channel you either select a different part of the same digital data stream in the same multiplex (when you might be able to record 2 and watch a 3rd) or part of the digital data stream of a different multiplex.

(1) Actually a multiplex is broadcast over a large spread of frequencies that are continually changing - google "spread spectrum" to investigate further.

Latest posts

Back