Virgin media problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Starting last Friday evening, after over a year of largely problem free operation, a problem started with my network; I'm a Virgin Media customer.

Basically, some of my connected devices (all connected by WiFi) lost their Internet connection. I've spoken (for a long time) to VM, but they haven't fixed the problem; all they really did was get me to factory reset the router. They claim they can see no problem with their network or the router. They then passed me a group called something like 'Gadget help', which wanted to charge me to setup my devices! As I had made no change to any of my devices, this made no sense to me. I asked to be reconnected to someone that could address the problem, and they managed to cut me off.

Working devices:

Windows 10 laptop
2x Tplink WiFi bridge (with various devices connected)
Canon 3250 printer

Non-working devices (connected to WiFi, but with no Internet connection)

Windows Vista laptop
Tplink WiFi bridge (with Sky HD+ box connected)
Android phone (Moto 4G plus, Marshmallow) -- sometimes, but rarely, connects to internet
Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013, Marshmallow)

(Not sure if my Chromecast is working, as I haven't reconfigured it to the default WiFi)

Any specific ideas on what might be done to fix this ?

Any idea on how to get Virgin Media to be more helpful ?

Sorry I can't help, but VM are well known for having an appalling help line which regularly will try to get customers to pay money for 'Gadget Help', which themselves don't have a good reputation.

The best place to get help might be their support forum. It mainly seems to be run by other customers who usually have a better idea of what's going on than the VM staff.

I don't know what greenfield mode is. However, My Wifi wasn't being picked up well for a while, and it turned out my modem was programmed to use channel 6, rather than to search out for a good channel (auto). So basically, someone else was using channel 6 so my devices weren't seeming my transmitter very well. I changed it to auto and rebooted, and the reception on my devices was much improved.

This happened in my house after a roadwork update/job by virgin. Some wifi devices worked whilst others didn't, 'one of the passwords changed and was a real baffle for 4 weeks. Even tried manufacturer's reset on some of the wifi devices for no help.

Unplugged the modem and then restarted it and hey presto all the devices were recognised again.

Buggered if I know what happened.

Mine is set to 'auto' ... but I might try changing to some specific channel values and see if it helps. Although, the 'Connected, No internet' message I get sounds to me as though the wireless connection is OK, just somehow the setup to get it connected to the internet is failing. I wish software gave more detailed error messages !

Unfortunately, rebooting and/or factory resetting the 'hub' doesn't make any difference

When I was a Virgin customer if I had a problem they would not take seriously I would phone the cancellation line and ask them to terminate my contract. They always managed to fix things then. Unless things have changed the help line was in India but the disconnect service was UK based and I was put through to an engineer rather than some one with a script and no idea. My son is a
Virgin employee and can get me a good deal on a package but I won't go back. Says it all really.

Billl

I will check, but I think I'm only 13 months into an 18 month contract, so trying to cancel is a little problematical. Could threaten to do it, I guess ...

Sorry guys but I recently had a similar problem with Virgin. My internet would suddenly go offline but say it was connected. This happened on my wi fi laptop, and Android box and also on my desktop which is hard wired. I called them and did the usual switch off then back on re-boot ETC but it didn't help. They said they would send an engineer which they did a couple of days later and he tested it and gave me a new router. This cure the problem and even has a button to allow wi fi to be detected. (This came in handy to connect my Android tablet to the 'Net') I couldn't fault the service from them. I can fault the cost per month for my package but that is another matter.

That certainly sounds very much like my problem. Did you have to apply any pressure to get them to send an engineer? I am tempted to suggest they just send me a replacement router (after all, they probably only cost them a few 10s of pounds).

That certainly sounds very much like my problem. Did you have to apply any pressure to get them to send an engineer? I am tempted to suggest they just send me a replacement router (after all, they probably only cost them a few 10s of pounds).

My internet keeps dropping out up to ten times a day. I've rung Virgin about it and got nowhere and i noticed that my recent bill has gone up yet again, so next week when i have more time, i shall be cancelling and going elsewhere after being with them from day one when they took over from NTL. If anyone has any suggestions for a good Broadband only deal, i'm all ears.

LeeElms":vmu5mw0d said:
That certainly sounds very much like my problem.

Not really. You have some devices connecting, some not. Add to the equation you have wireless repeaters.

No, I had no problem with getting an engineer to me. I just told them it had been off and on for about a week and I had run through the usual exercise to re-boot it and she suggested sending an engineer. When mine went offline it was everything connected to the internet by cable and Wi fi.

Back