Vintage tool Identification Help Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjr1342

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what these tools are with a chisel like working end?
It is the hooked end that puzzles me, the metal tapers down in thickness to the hook. They were in my farther in laws garage we cleared, I know my wife’s grandfather was a carpenter about 100 years ago, I am assuming they were his originally.
Many thanks if anyone can solve the puzzle.
Regards,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_115106.jpg
    IMG_20200704_115106.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 375
Those are the cutting irons for a wooden plough plane (plane for making grooves). They often came in a set of 8, the smallest being for 1/8" grooves and the largest for 9/16" grooves. They were often numbered at the 'sneck' end, number 1 being the 1/8", 2 being 3/16", 3 being 1/4", and so on up to number 8 being the 9/16".

Edit to add;

Here's an example of a plough plane taken from Ebay. This one didn't sell, being rather overpriced and not having it's full set of cutting irons.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI ... 7675.l2557

Exactly that ^.
The sneck is for adjusting the depth of cut by tapping it up with a small hammer.

If you dont plan to keep them, I own a plough plane with only one cutter (1/4 inch I think, maybe 3/8) so could use more irons. PM me if interested and we'll work out a fair price.

Be warned that plow irons are not always interchangeable. Tapers are not all the same. I picked up one at a secondhand stall with 7 irons but 2 dont quite fit. Lots of things gets get mixed up when a tool has been around for more than a hundred years.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back