Vintage plane identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeratit

Reaction score
Hello,

I rescued an old plane from my Grandfathers garage after he passed away. He hads loads of old wooden planes however this one looked especially interesting. Hopefully someone can tell me a little more about it. Unfortunately the handle is broken. I have already sold a Spiers Ayr plane which had a very similar handle so I wondered if this may be one too.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachments

• P1010537-001.JPG
    P1010537-001.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 1,101
I'm telling you what you already know, but although it's in such a poor state, someone will want it, as it could be made into a good plane again. Take lots of high-res photos, from every side including the sole, start it low and see what it fetches. If there is a name on it, it may well be on the rather pretty brass cap iron, so have a specially good look there. If you can find the missing bits - and especially the blade - you will obviously get more, but I'd guess at £25 to £50 as it is, maybe more if it does have a name on it. Presumably the original screw was lost back in your grandfather's time!

I'd say it was user made from a casting personally...I assume the sides are not dovetailed to the sole?

Is it bronze/gunmetal? You will certainly get about £40 for it as it is on FleaBay...I would pay that much anyway.

It's in the "Scottish" style...and the heart in the lever cap is found quite often...

I assume it is about 13" and a panel plane?

Good luck with it and hope to see high res pictures soon

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for your help guys - I dont suppose anyone knows someone nr Glasgow who would be interested in buying a lot of old wooden block planes?

put some pictures up in the for sale section mate, please read the rules first.

or if your not sure what there worth you could just post some pictures up in the hand tools section asking what people thought was a suitable price.

adidat

Vann":1vfnnipl said:
AndyT":1vfnnipl said:
If there is a name on it, it may well be on the rather pretty brass cap iron...
He means "...the rather pretty brass lever cap..." :roll: :D

Cheers, Vann.

Ooops!

Thanks Vann! :oops:

Thanks, Ill try get a photo up tonight of the other bits and pieces. I have quite a few old Stanley/Record planes too in need of some TLC

Ive also got a book called "Antique & collectable stanley tools: guide to identity & value" 1996 second edition which I believe is quite sought after - any idea on value as Ive seen ones advertised on Ebay for £295 however not actually seen them sell for this price so doesnt actually mean much really.

It wasn't me!

But there aren't very many sources of castings if you want to make your own infill, so each to their own I suppose.

yeratit":28yl6ipz said:
Someone unbelieveably offered me £150 for this plane so

I'd have bitten his arm off to sell it. I think the method you are using to sell these via the forum might just attract the wrath of the moderators though.....

Amongst others.....

Jim

I'd have bitten his arm off to sell it. I think the method you are using to sell these via the forum might just attract the wrath of the moderators though.....

Amongst others.....

Jim[/quote]

I wasnt actually aiming to sell it, just trying to get some info on it

yeratit":319yqegw said:

Amongst others.....

Jim

I wasnt actually aiming to sell it, just trying to get some info on it .

Rule 5 of the sale of items on the forum

5 - Members may not promote or mention their own sales that are on other sites such as eBay, Gumtree or sites of that nature. This includes reference to future promotion elsewhere if they fail to sell on UKW. An item or items that have been submitted to the For Sale board must not be entered concurrently for sale anywhere else. This includes digital and/or print media. Failure to adhere to this guideline will result in sanctions against the member in question.

Such posts detected or reported will be treated as spam and both the entry and member dealt with accordingly.

Jim

Back