Vintage No 6 Stanley Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkus88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've just bought a supposedly vintage No 6 stanley plane from ebay but other than on the cap lever it doesn't say stanley anywhere. I would expect it to say it on the plane body, am I wrong?

Mark

I guess it's a Stanley lever cap but everything else isn't.

If it's this one I don't believe it's a Stanley. The seller also needs telling that he is responsible for delivery despite his disclaimer.

here are a couple of pics

Attachments

• P151011_14.21.JPG
    P151011_14.21.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,623
  • P151011_14.22.JPG
    P151011_14.22.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,622
Here are a couple more, I was wondering what happened to the iron it looks like its burnt on the corners.

Attachments

• P151011_14.22[01].JPG
    P151011_14.22[01].JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • P151011_14.24.JPG
    P151011_14.24.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,618
The seller has a 100% rating against a high volume of sales. I think it is very likely that they will give you a refund in order to protect their rating - and if they want it back also ask for the return postage, which will be high.

You can ask the seller for a refund, nicely but firmly first, but if there's a problem just use PayPal's "significantly not as described" reason for requesting refund.

If there's some expert opinion given on here you could quote this thread as proof.

Thanks I have sent a message asking for a refund inc return postage. I don't think I'll have a problem getting it because of the rating thing jacob said. Thanks again.

I am just wondering how tool dealers manage to acquire such large a stock. Surely not from carboots?

This the reply I just got
hi mark thats fine if you want to return , but just to let you know if you go on any stanley old tool sites or the history of stanley you will see that the early ones did not say stanley on them only no 6 as is yours , ive been collecting planes for 28 years and over this time have read and learned about these things , i know that this is an early stanley one by the front and back curve of the casting plus other details

He could be but I don't know, I have tried googling but got nothing that confirmed or denied. If it is a stanley it is very good condition, I assume its been restored, the only issue is I think the iron needs regrinding. But I paid for a stanley and want to make sure thats what I'm getting.

sparkus88":24dglu1c said:
Hi I've just bought a supposedly vintage No 6 stanley plane from ebay but other than on the cap lever it doesn't say stanley anywhere. I would expect it to say it on the plane body, am I wrong?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have a vintage no3 and a no8, neither have any markings on the castings other than size number, but both are Stanley.
Have a look at the frog - mine have no adjusters at the back for altering the position, just the two retaining screws under the irons.
Also, the lateral lever should have 'Stanley' on it. That's about the only markings on mine.
Mine don't have Stanley on the lever cap either - I would say that's a replacement on yours but it may be a genuine body given a coat of Hammerite paint...
cheers,
Andy

just check those things, it does have stanley on the lateral lever, the wheel does advance the opposition to my other planes, and it doesn't have an adjustment on the frog. So I'm thinking it probably is a stanley, also because surely he wouldn't have 100% feedback if he was sending out dodge or fake planes etc. Can someone tell me whats wrong with the corners of the iron shown in the fourth photo I posted, it looks almost like its burnt?

sparkus88":2ti8ng2e said:
Can someone tell me whats wrong with the corners of the iron shown in the fourth photo I posted, it looks almost like its burnt?

Certainly looks like it.
That's a huge camber on the iron as well - I'd guess it's been stuck on a grinder to dress in the curvature and it's got too hot.
Assuming its only the corner, you might be ok just straightening up the grind to square, but if there are other hot spots along the edge that aren't evident the edge won't hold so you have to grind back beyond the part that's over heated so you are back to tempered metal again.

cheers,
Andy

what does WH mean? I've also rung a local shop that sells vintage tools and they confirm the early planes just had the no. and not stanley on the plane body.

Latest posts

Back