Vintage mystery lathe - any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I just bought this old lathe, mainly for the bits that came with it but it has piqued my curiosity just to find out more about it.

IMG_20220329_175135877.jpg

Bed length is about 18", centre height 3" and the spindle is 5/8" x 10 tpi. The only markings on it are on the tool holder: Kingston Hastings and Type B No. V.P. I have had no joy on Google so far.

IMG_20220329_172139762.jpg
IMG_20220329_172146017.jpg

The tailstock chuck has been welded on, and not straight, so that needs to come off. Hopefully there'll be a No,1 MT in there somewhere. You'll be amused to hear that the motor was connected to the left hand end of the spindle via a length of rubber hose and a Jubilee clip, rather than using a belt. I won't be doing that...

I'll give it a clean up and see if anything else appears under the muck. Meanwhile, if anyone recognises the lathe and can enlighten me...?

thanks

nice weld repair near the headstock.....
great little starter lathe for someone tho....
check out the bearings at the head....prob straight into cast iron....no probs but lube is ever so important.....
a couple of these drippers would look good and do a good job.....loads'a diff sizes n threads....
s-l1600-1.jpg

also there were lathe produce around that time that were self assembly and supplied with minimal machining......they were advertised in "Practical Mechanic's n the like....

@clogs yes I spotted it had been welded...there is a mm or so side play in the headstock bearing so that needs looking at as there's no obvious means of taking it up

the clamps for the banjo and tailstock look like those for Brittania lathes so maybe it's a hybrid/DIY version made from other bits

Back