Vintage mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

this is my first post. I happen to have a vintage mortiser machine in my garden (I only know it is this through finding assistance online!), as shown in the accompanying photo.

This is located in Chesterfield (Derbyshire).

I thought that this may be the best place to come (rather than putting it on something like eBay) to see if there is anybody here that may be interested in something like this.

We plan to move home in the coming months and I would prefer not to have to take it with us/leave for the new owners!

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• 60679BE5-A327-494A-BCBA-74CD0CB167B7.png
    60679BE5-A327-494A-BCBA-74CD0CB167B7.png
    548.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
So is the approx location Chesterfield?

Location will help as it is low value, probably rusted pretty solid and very heavy!

Sorry loads of questions
Has it been outside in wind rain snow for very long? Has it been super greased and all metalwork protected or sad to say is it rusted together?
Can you see what make it is? I assume it is electrically powered is the motor still with you?

Looks like a block and tackle on the ground thats worth sorting out.

Sorry loads of questions
Has it been outside in wind rain snow for very long? Has it been super greased and all metalwork protected or sad to say is it rusted together?
Can you see what make it is? I assume it is electrically powered is the motor still with you?

Looks like a block and tackle on the ground thats worth sorting out.
Hi, that’s absolutely fine.

It has been left outside for some years,so is rusty.

It seems to be manual, so no motor.

Having looked around it, I can’t seem to see any details of who made it.

yes, that is a block and tackle.

It looks like a hand powered lever chisel mortiser, not a hollow chisel mortiser. As a usable machine, it won't fetch much considering you can get an old powered cast iron working machine for £80 or less . From what I can see from the picture, it looks in OK condition even though it's been outside for a while. Recoverable with a bit of work, but not really 'usable'. possibly an up-cycling project or for someone who likes collecting old machines. This one here (link will be gone soon) looks similar and hasn't sold at £100. I doubt it will at that price. I'm sure some creative person could find an up-cycled use for it, paint it a nice colour and sell it for £500!!
mort.JPG

There’s a company in Buxton that make tables that might want to buy the base of and some parts of it (have a Google). Their resale price for things like that is steep, so you may get a decent price.

Feels like every couple of weeks here someone has one of these available, sometimes they get passed around when each person realises it’s a huge, not terribly helpful lump.

There’s a company in Buxton that make tables that might want to buy the base of and some parts of it (have a Google). Their resale price for things like that is steep, so you may get a decent price.

Feels like every couple of weeks here someone has one of these available, sometimes they get passed around when each person realises it’s a huge, not terribly helpful lump.
Thanks for the help-struggling to find immediately via Google-do you know the name of the place please?
Thanks

It looks like a hand powered lever chisel mortiser, not a hollow chisel mortiser. As a usable machine, it won't fetch much considering you can get an old powered cast iron working machine for £80 or less . From what I can see from the picture, it looks in OK condition even though it's been outside for a while. Recoverable with a bit of work, but not really 'usable'. possibly an up-cycling project or for someone who likes collecting old machines. This one here (link will be gone soon) looks similar and hasn't sold at £100. I doubt it will at that price. I'm sure some creative person could find an up-cycled use for it, paint it a nice colour and sell it for £500!!
View attachment 116518
Thank you for the info and insight-it’s really useful to get an idea of what others may be doing with something similar!
Thanks

Thank you for the info and insight-it’s really useful to get an idea of what others may be doing with something similar!
You might get lucky and find someone who wants it. I love old machines like that. It's a tragedy to see them get dumped. but you are too far away, lol. I would look at the possibility of using the table with my modern mortiser, which doesn't have any clamping or sliding table. I see it as an easy mod to make it work.

You could try the 'fans of owwm' old woodworking machinery group on facebook. Primarily USA but there are a few UK Members.

Latest posts

Back