Viking replica ship project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I just came across this online and thought others might like it too.

It's a project in Norway to build a replica of this beautiful Viking ship:

Oseberg_longship.png

The project is using cleft timber and replica 9th century tools throughout, as an exploration of what original techniques would have been.

The project has its own (English) website here: http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/eng/ but I came at it via Robin Wood's blog - start here for his work on the Viking ship project: http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2011/11/building-worlds-most-iconic-viking-ship.html.

I hope he won't mind if I point out a few more highlights from what sounds an absolutely fascinating project:

Precision work splitting oak into planks:

IMG_8304.jpg

clamping a plank into place ready for riveting:

IMG_3914.jpg

and the project's tool room!

IMG_8316.jpg

This was discussed on an Archaeological forum that I frequent but I wasn't aware that it had started, the other members will be very interested. Fascinating job.

Roy.

loving this. reminds me a bit of the two 17th century ships (Batavia & hte 7 provinces) they built in holland, but they got to use some powertools....
this however, is simply amazing!!!!!
Geert

Incredible undertaking! Fascinating tool board - surprised not to see an adze amongst all the axes.

A similar boat was built in the mid/late seventies and sailed across from Norway via Skye in 79, where we were on holiday at the time, and on down South to the I.O.M., it was for the 1000 years celibration from when they used to do the raids. It was called Odin's Raven and that was beautiful to see under sail. I have just tried to find some photos, but the only ones seem to be in Peel musium I.O.M. This is one of them, sorry, not good quality. http://www.flickr.com/photos/52205837@N06/6121516297/

The only 2 bends to modern were rodio, required by law and modern clothing, which I don't blame them for especially as they were sleeping on an open and not very big deck!

The matelots of old had a saying John that, 'when the ships were made of wood the the men were made of iron, and when the ships were made of iron, the men were made of wood!'

Roy.

Digit":16q0eqye said:
The matelots of old had a saying John that, 'when the ships were made of wood the the men were made of iron, and when the ships were made of iron, the men were made of wood!'

Roy.

Quite so. I really admire the craftsmanship, but the idea of filling it up with people and crossing the North Sea in it is something else!

There's a good video on the project website which explains how a previous replica sank on its first trip...

Odin's Raven actually capsized after it reached Skye. After they had been there a few days they went out into the straights between Skye and the mainland. It's famed for the shear winds it has and they caught the Raven out. They couldn't move the sail quickly because of the square shape and type. And over they went. There were no losses or injuries but the lost lots of kit and were delayed because of it. Apparently they were warned of the shear winds, but went anyway?

They were very lucky