views please(be kind)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am new to turning,but would like some views please.
2011_0718mypictures0002.jpg

I like the shape but I'm not so keen on the checkerboard of woods. Otherwise looks good.

I'll tell you what Pip, if you are new to turning then we have something to look forward to!

I, like Jen, don't really like the checquer board and the chunkyness of the shape, BUT to take on something as you have done and finished up with a goblet like that is very, very good and I would be proud to have done it. The finish can be improved a lot.

Lost for words otherwise! Not usual for me?

As a relative newbie too, I like the idea of what you've done here.
Still not sure of the checkerboard effect, but the more I look at it the more it's growing on me.

Far from being the greatest at goblets, I'm not too well placed to make too many comments, but overall I like it.

As John said, take pride in this one - I certainly would.

some interesting lines there, and the glue up of the segments looks excellent.

size of the segments looks to suit the overall piece as well.

my eye initially expects to see some vertical segmentation in the stem, but the combination of horizontal bands and profile works.

be interesting to see the inside, but overall it looks a nice piece

You`ve certainly created a nicely shaped and well proportioned goblet. I think I might have made the base just a little wider to make your goblet look a little less top heavy. Gluing up all the segments must have taken a lot of careful work. Perhaps in a future piece, you might use the segments to create a pattern rather than the random effect of this one.
Look forward to seeing your next piece!

Ian

wow many thanks
i know the finish is not much, but it is in base coat, i have been turning for a few months, my mother in law saw what i had done and she asked me to make something for her i was quite shocked because i don't have much faith in my self, once i had made her a segmented fruit bowl (she loved it)she then asked me to make present for my sister in law christine (christmas day birthday, she does not know) ,we all met a mum in law ,when mum in law saw christines she loved it, she asked me to make something for my other sister in law (susan) so i have made small bowl for sweets photo to follow.chritine was saying tomy wife how much she liked the bowl but would chose some thing smaller,
so the goblet is going to be a gift to christine she seem to like the segmented bowl.
i think it may look better in one wood. ps when it is finished i will post a pic,
any way many thanks again
pip

silver birch
that's funny because it did have a bigger base well rounder and deeper but i did'nt like it but i could have made it wider
many thank for all your views
this is a very helpful forum
pip =D> :ho2

2011_0718mypictures0003.jpg
pic of inside for those interested the two black lines are cracks in the oak layer #-o i know you are going to find the errors :oops:
pip

It's grown on me even more now Pip.

My eyes love symmetry, so this view just grabs me & draws me straight in.

Hadn't noticed the crack lines til I read what you wrote about them.

Yes, I like this a lot. =D>

Not bad , not bad at all

You should be please with that

Personally I am not a fan of segmented items

My only suggestion would be better definition in the beads and coves on the stem

:wink:

I agree with Blister, the coves in the stem could be a little deeper to make the bead stand out more. And I agree that the foot should be heavier to suit the rest.

I don't think I could have made a goblet like it when I was that new to turning! Look forward to seeing more, hope you will do some plain work as well as segmented.

Terry

Keep it up, you are doing very well and I'd have been happy to have made something like that as a beginner. Some like segmented and some don't, the main thing to remember is that the most important aspects are shape and finish. :)

Back