Video Editing Software Search

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find some decent video editing/dvd burning software and I've not had a lot of success. I'm hoping for suggestions.

I had Pinnacle Studio 9+ but it wouldn't get through the rendering process. It would start and about an hour into it, it would crash the computer causing a reboot. I gave up on it after Pinnacle refused to provide tech support. I got on their user forum and tried everything that was suggested to no avail.

I recently downloaded Ulead's Video Studio 10 Plus Trial version. It failed to complete the rendering process after about 29%. At the suggestion of a user on their user forum, I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, etc. of anything to do with Ulead. I reinstalled and managed to get through about 92% before crash. Ulead's tech support told me they wouldn't even try to help me unless I pay for the software first. Since the trial version doesn't work I'm not inclined to pay them any money. I think they've made it clear that they also aren't interested in providing good customer service.

So. Where to now? Anyone got ideas? Thanks.

BTW, I have a PC with XP SP2, 2 80 GB HDs, 512MB RAM...

Dave

I had similar problems. The PC video world seems fraught with incompatible codecs, DLLs and the like..with some conflicting with others ...and in the end gave up using a PC.

Sorry that that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I now use iMovie and iDVD on the Mac...truly superb programs and rock solid as well.

Roger

Hi Dave
I use Pinnacle Studio 9+ - I've sure you've tried most things but I would ensure you are using version 9.3.5 (not the 9.4.3). I found this the most stable by far.
What is it exactly you are trying to render? Is it a DV file or something else. These progs do tend to work a lot better with DV files.
What sort of editing features do you want? Basic trimming and then DVD authoring etc? I've done a lot of this recently so can try and help as much as I can - feel free to PM me offline too.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Dave

I use Sonic MyDVD v6 very successfully. It would appear that v8is the most current.

Gill

Roger, you may be on to the fix--switch to a Mac.

Gidon, I tried 9.3.5 and a whole bunch of things with Pinnacle with no luck.

I've mostly been working with DV files from our camcorder captured as DV-AVI. I also need to edit some video from my in-laws' VHS-C camera. I want to mainly basic editing, maybe some image correction, adding still, and music and then authoring DVDs.

Pinnacle Studio 9+ and Ulead VS10 Plus seem to have the features I'd like but I can't get them to complete the job so I'm continuing my search.

Thanks and I'll probably PM you later.

Dave

Ill second that Canopus Edius Pro with Adobe Encore for DVD creation.

I have only ever use premiere and find it fine for the odd job that I need it for

Urm... Microsoft's FREE movie maker is supposed to be surprisingly good. I'll say that again... FREE!

I had a play with it sometime ago and seem to recall that it ws quite staightforward, altho I cannot remember whether it burns DVDs.

Avid do a free version of their program(Avid is the professional's choice).
You can also download a full tutorial but it is rather difficult to master. If you use Windows Movie capture v not the "Best for your computer", it works quite well for a free program.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Now I need to explore the options. I did download EditStudio last night and had a little time to play with it. It looks promising although I was hoping for an all inclusive capture, edit, author and burn program and EditStudio isn't that.

FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Ulead Video Studio to give it a try. It looked promising until it failed in the render process. I explored their site and user forums for some suggestions. I even posted questions on their forum and got some attempts at help from users. None of that worked so I e-mailed Ulead tech support. In essence they told me to get lost and that they wouldn't discuss with me any issues until I buy the product.

My thinking is that if I went to buy a new car but it failed to start during the test drive, I sure wouldn't buy the car before the dealer got the engine running. So, no Ulead on my computer anymore.

Pinnacle was purchased by Avid and apparently they no longer wish to supply tech support for the Pinnacle products. Loads of complaints on the Pinnacle forum about that. I did find that the disks that came in the box are good shimes under benches in the shop and that piece of green fabric works great to keep the frost off the tomatoes. :D

Now I'll explore those other options. Thanks again.

Dave

Dave R":2poabp9i said:
FWIW, I downloaded the trial version of Ulead Video Studio to give it a try. It looked promising until it failed in the render process. I explored their site and user forums for some suggestions. I even posted questions on their forum and got some attempts at help from users. None of that worked so I e-mailed Ulead tech support. In essence they told me to get lost and that they wouldn't discuss with me any issues until I buy the product.

I use Ulead Movie Factory 3 to rip my sky+ recordings (norm mainly :oops: ) onto the pc form my Pioneer dvdr if that makes sense. I then use Ulead Video Studio 8 to edit out the adds, credits etc. I then usually save to a new file using the "Same as project settings" option. I haven't used Video studio to burn a disc but Movie Factory burns without a problem including menus, chapters etc. I find the combination of both programs does everything I need.
Neil

Dave, what amount of ram have you got in your PC and have you altered your virtual memory at all?

If you have more than one hard drive move the virtual ram (paging file) off the drive where the program is and also set the page file to a set size. I think that will solve your rendering problems as your symptoms are not a program fault but usually a memory paging fault. This is most likely why it failed on two completely different packages.

John, I have 512MB of RAM and two 80GB HD set up for NTFS. How do I move the virtual memory to the second drive which is the one I use for the video files? How do I set the size and how large should I make it?

The machine is running Windows XP Home SP2.

OK... Here is the way to do it...

Control panel>system>Advanced tab>top settings button>advanced tab>Virtual Memory

See it's easy to find isnt it Bill :roll:

Anyway what you need to do is select the second drive and set a custom size. I use 2048/2048 and press the set button. That way the PC has the extra mem it needs and isn't always trying to adjust the size of the page file which causes slowdowns and rendering problems.

Once you have set your second drive to 2048/2048 go to the C drive and select No Paging File and press set again. Click ok and it will tell you to reboot.

Job done.

You should now (hopefully) find that your DVD renders ok. To make sure open the task manager before you start to render and go to the performance tab and watch what happens when you do the render. If you run out of memory and crash like before you will need to increase the virtual memory.

Latest posts

Back