Victorian chair steps - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now come on guys... why the silence? I know that not everyone wants to spend nine months carving mouldings by hand, (though I'm sure Jimi could, and probably make a combined seat and telescope stand if he wanted to) but Tony pointed out the simpler alternative design, and I've shown you another, but still there is no new project thread of anyone making one of these!

What else can I do to nudge someone into action?

Well, this is from The Woodworker in November 1939.

They had already run articles in the October issue on pressing subjects such as how to make a nest of tables, "invaluable to those living in limited accommodation during this war period" and protective light-tight window shutters. By November they were running with designs for a First Aid Cupboard, a loft ladder (in case of incendiaries on the roof); a cupboard for emergency tinned food and furnishing the Anderson Shelter.

They also ran this: concise, one page instructions on how to make a set of chair-steps, costing no more than five shillings, just what you need for hanging up the blackout blinds every night:

20140918_114632_zps5fwjy6y6.jpg

So come on, lads, jump to it! :lol:

AndyT":2kqa67q9 said:
Now come on guys... why the silence?

Erm - it is on my to do list, right after the bookcase, 5 chopping boards, and one three legged stool. In the meantime I'm triying to master the art of making garden fork handles from green ash - you know, the traditional steam bent ones. Don't hold your breath :lol:

Here are some slightly better pictures of the original instructions, as requested by Benchwayze.

They come from one of my favourite books on old woodworking tools and projects - "Cassell's Woodworking" edited by Paul Hasluck and published in 1912. The original old book is not that common but there is a good cheap paperback reprint of it around, published by Bracken Books in 1995 under the title "The Handyman's Book" which is somewhat easier to find. The scope is huge - everything from a chicken coop to a mahogany whatnot, with lots of ideas and tips along the way.

20141005_141929_zps34f72144.jpg

20141005_142017_zpsde973855.jpg

20141005_142044_zps6122b8a1.jpg

20141005_142127_zps2874884d.jpg

Please can anyone tell me how permanent the Potassium Permanganate staining is? Is it FAIRLY lightfast, or will it fade badly over the years if exposed to indirect sunlight through a window? (I will shortly be considering staining 2 veneered speaker cabinets.)
Thank you.

Thanks for resurrecting this WIP Studioman - just spent an enjoyable hour reading through it. I know nothing about the permanency or otherwise of Potassium Permanganate as a woodstain but I have a long standing need to build a set of chair steps and this has fired my imagination again! Thanks Andy.

Now - just need to build that workshop ...............

Glad to see someone else wanting to make some steps. Don't forget the WIP! As for the stain, I will take some pictures later but my impression is that it has been pretty well permanent.

Very nice work and a great result. I have had the ambition to make a similar chair for a long time, and have some walnut and rosewood salted away. I know the book you have worked from, but in fact the design is even earlier. It is known as the Benjamin Franklin chair, invented by the same, and dates from 1760-1780. There's some information here: http://www.benfranklin300.org/db/admin/ ... 53_lrg.jpg and one of the originals still exists, shown below. Though yours looks more practical :). I have followed your WIP with great interest!

Congrats again

Keith

Attachments

• franklin chair.jpg
    franklin chair.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 848
  • franklin chair 2.jpg
    franklin chair 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 848
Ok here are some snaps to try to see how fade resistant the finish is after three years beside a south facing window.
This is the exposed part of the seat

20151122_115502_zpstwpdnyck.jpg

and for comparison here is the underside of the same board

20151122_115552_zpsk9pwsacs.jpg

and here is the upper surface of the lower step which stays mostly in shadow

20151122_115521_zpsrladu0mp.jpg

It's hard to judge, especially as these were taken on a different camera and in bright sunlight, but I would say that there has been some fading but not much. I've no idea how this wood might have faded or darkened if left unfinished and walnut might behave entirely differently. And there are other variables such as the strength of the solution and number of coats you use.

Anyhow, I hope that helps anyone thinking of trying potassium permanganate as a chemical wood stain.

Thanks Andy,
Certainly looks like it's standing up quite well. Have you used it much as a step ladder?

Droogs":3jz7m5bk said:
Thanks Andy,
Certainly looks like it's standing up quite well. Have you used it much as a step ladder?

Oh, yes, every day... :---)

To be honest, I can reach the ceiling if I just stand on the seat of the chair, but if all I wanted was something strictly practical I could have bought a lightweight aluminium job and not spent nine months puzzling over how to join triangles together! This project was really just an excuse to see if I could stretch my skills and make something which appealed to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of making it. :)

Great job Andy, I thought i'd appalled you on this project previously but apparently not...!

After reading this 12 months ago I used Potassium Permanganate a mahogany bookcase and was impressed and continue to be with the results.

I think people should not consider Potassium Permanganate as a stain because that's not what its doing. Is is an oxidizing agent which greatly accelerates the oxidization of the timber which results with the change in colour that would naturally occur over time. Rather than pigments and dye molecules which 'artificially' change the colour due their constituents.

Andy

Back