Victorian Brace - A Study

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a few Victorian "Sheffield" pad braces...some in pretty poor condition and some just downright broken!

I have wanted one of these for ages so sitting pondering what to do about them...I suddenly glanced over and saw a lump of English walnut Douglas Coates gave me a while back and there..in the grain...it was shouting BRACE BRACE BRACE!

I should have realised then this would be a bumpy landing but I listened to the wood and decided to make a new brace using it...refurbishing the castings from one or more of the basketcases I had.

Well..it turned out to be an amazing journey...a real insight into the deviousness and genius of Victorian craftsmen who did things the most complicated way possible JUST for the fun of it...or so it seems! :mrgreen:

Anyway...the whole story can be found at THIS LINK...on WKFINE TOOLS MAGAZINE now together in one article! (edit)

I honestly thought it would be a simple job...I was so very wrong!

Anyway...here are a couple of shots of the finished brace...I'm quite pleased how it turned out...I would like to say the next one will be better but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon! :mrgreen:

ALFIE enjoyed watching as usual! 8)

20150709_160818.jpg

20150709_161851-1.jpg

20150709_161026.jpg

20150709_160521.jpg

20150710_171909-1.jpg

20150710_131701-1.jpg

20150710_131544.jpg

20150710_171824.jpg

20150709_160119-1.jpg

Cheers

Jimi and ALFIE!

Harbo":34uln2lk said:
Lovely job and love the shine but did you have to drill a hole in your bench? :)

Rod

AH!

Yes..the first of a few...Rod!

I had actually held off drilling holes in the old French bench on the basis that I might get struck by lightning but I did need to have holdfast holes for the wonderful Richard Tomes holdfasts I have had sitting there waiting for a hole to put them in.

Once I made the brace...I felt that the old French masters would forgive me for drilling the holes with shell bits and my Victorian brace copy...a kind of "rite of passage".

I opened the hole out progressively...boy is that cormier HARD!!! :mrgreen:

So..am I forgiven mate? :mrgreen: 8)

Jimi

Beautiful work amigo, it just don't get no purtier than that. The write-up was great info and is recommended to all. What a lot of work you put in , and worth every minute. One tiny complaint and one request though. The request is that you give Alfie a good scratching behind the ears for me please. The complaint is that you never said what kind of beans your friend sent you. I may not be able to get some myself , but allow me to live vicariously through you please. :mrgreen:

What a stunningly bonkers yet impressive project! Not just for the craftsmanship but for the investigation into forgotten methods of the past and for the inspirational photography.

Mr P, could this please be added to the best home made tools thread? It will take some beating!

Andy,

Could I find a better brace made in the last fifty plus years ? I seriously doubt it.

Would I love to add something that isn't plane related ? Of course.

Sadly as much as I enjoyed Jim's 23 page post over on Wiktor's site (serious BC envy) but as I said on the thread if the list is going to cover the entire world web then sorry I'm out. Happy to pass the list onto someone else who has more time.

Best to discuss this on my thread rather than hijack Jim's stunning work.

Apologies,
Carl

Man Jimi, you've made my day! Found the time to enjoy the walking through 23 pages at WK. What a stunning project and what a fantastic result, incredible. I take my hat off you!

Cheers
Klaus

Back