VICES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit surprised you've had no response to this, Phil.
Tail vices are very useful indeed. If you want to work on the face of a board, gripping it by the ends means that there are no clamps getting in the way. Using a random orbital sander is a good example. There are loads of others. I'll let other people add.
S

I don't have one but use a normal vice with a block of wood in to achieve the same effect when required. I also use anti slip mats when sanding. also when working with longer stock I tend to just use the two vices. I have two vices on the same side at each end.

Tail vices are a bit quicker than the way I use my vices and hold the stock better than anti slip mats.

phil.p":26jdme4y said:
:? Having never used a bench with a tail vice, I can't quite see the fascination with them.

It's all about holding the work securely so that you can work on it effectively. Tail vices are used in conjunction with bench dogs so that the work can be fully supported by the bench top and gripped between dogs in the tail vice and bench top. Here's my bench which has five rows of dog holes

DSC_0140.jpg

If you use planes or other tools with fences, the tail vice enables you to grip the work without the vice or bench getting in the way of the fence

Vices21.jpg

The dog holes also enable you to grip odd shaped pieces, such as this circular table top

Tabletop1.jpg

The bottom line is that a tail vice gives you numerous clamping options for holding workpieces. I can't imagine working on a bench without one - I use mine far more than I use the front vice.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back