Vices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Got your attention eh?

Since fitting my Record vice to the bench, I've felt something was wrong. I couldn't get the faces parallel to the bench front without loads of packers

Couldn't see the problem as the horizontal mounting plate to the rear was dead perpendicular to the rear face of the rear jaw :?

Well, took it off today to make new faces for jaws and checked it out again. The problem is the rear jaw is not the same thickness top-to-bottom by at least 2mm :shock: So, with the vice mounted nice and tight to the bench, the bottom of the rear jaw stuck out 2mm. The front jaw closes flush to the rear one and so is also 2mm out when referred to the mounting plate :roll:

I ground a slope (2mm at rear down to 0mm at the rear face) off of the rear horizontal mounting plate that bolts under the bench using my angle grinder and all is finally well :wink:

Thought this might be useful info

I thought Record vices the best quality available. A sign of the times I suppose.

Are they made in China now? Does that mean they're no different to the cheap Chinese ones you can get elsewhere??? :?

No indication where it was manufactured. It is about 18 months to two years old if that gives any indication?

That sounds very poor, especially as the faces are meant to have some toe-in to ensure even pressure when tightened. The front face of yours sounds as if it may have been correct - it angled in towards the top? The rear face I imagine would be absolutely vertical in a proper example, though.

Back