Viceroy Sharpedge Oil issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niallc123

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm doing a bit of work for a school at the moment in exchange for taking some big heavy dangerous toys off their hands, one of the jobs I've tasked myself with is sorting out the Viceroy Sharpedge they have hidden in a store room so that their 'technician' can get the big box of horribly blunt chisels they have smartened up.

The machine runs fine with no funny clunks or wobbles but it isn't pumping any oil. I've investigated and the lift pump will go fine when primed by hand so I know the diaphram is good and there is plenty of oil in the resevoir so I had assumed the motor had moved away from the pump enough that it wasn't actuating it.
When I got the motor off I expected to find a cam on the spindle that would work the pump but there is just a perfectley circular bushing and a bearing - I'm assuming the cam has worn down to a circle at some point but it looks very smooth and uniform which is confusing me a bit.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

cheers, Niall

I know nothing! (say it with dodgy 70's Spanish accent) but welcome.

but a quick google would confirm your suspicions I think. Maybe you can build up a cam with JB weld or metal epoxy? or It may be expedient to swap it for an electric pump?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy-sharpedge/

"An important part of the sharpening process was the use of honing oil - preferably one with anti-bacterial properties - this being lifted from a container within the base by a simple cam-operated diaphragm pump (driven from the spindle of the main motor) and allowed to flood (and so thoroughly soak) the wheel for ten minutes before use. As the tool was sharpened the oil supply was kept running, the lubricant flowing from a radially-disposed pipe above the wheel back into the tank by gravity and then recalculated. As the pump was similar to those used on older cars to pump fuel from the tank to engine, its flow rate was not adjustable and set by the factory to be correct for normal use."

Thanks for the reply Nev. It's a bit of a mystery what happened to the cam then, the pump lever is free and fine so I don't really know how it would have worn down so dramatically, maybe someone has been messing around with it in the past and its been taken off and lost. I'm hoping someone pipes up with a magic location for buying a replacement but I think I'll probably end up machining one.

cheers.

Can't help with your query but I have used one of these machines, and very good they are too.

One problem you may need to address is that the stone needs dressing flat periodically and it is not a diy job. I believe there are (or were) firms who offer this service. You might get away with a non-flat stone on narrowish chisels but you certainly would need it flat for plane irons. The secret to extended life between flattenings is, of course, to use the whole stone.

Jim

yea it does have a bit of a wobble on it but I don't think they have a budget for anything that isn't seen as absolutley essential.
There is enough running true for chisels to get worked on, I'll sort out the few planes they have by hand but to be honest I don't think they would ever see any use anyway. thanks.

Back