Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a couple of vices for a new bench, of the Record type. Anyone got a good source of secondhand ones? Ebay seems expensiveish, as ever for tools, at £50 to £60 including shipping. G&M don't have any in. Anywhere else I should look? Is £50/60 just the going rate?

What about types, is there much real advantage in going for a 53 over a 52? Is the Q/R worth the candle?

Sorry for the splurge of questions.

Jake

Can't point you to any sources but I'd say go for the quick release, far handier.

Noel

Interestingly John Brown favoured a plain screw vice, IIRC. Claimed there was less to go wrong and 'twas but the work of a moment to spin the thing open and shut. I believed him, so somewhere or other I have a Paramo plain screw vice which was going to go on the workbench I never built. :roll: I would guess the prices have gone up a bit since the demise of Record in Sheffield, btw. Sources? Well local papers are probably a wash out in the metropolis (they always used to be anyway) but car boots might be a possibility. I literally trip over them down here anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Noel - yeah, I guessed that would be so. I've only ever used one with QR, and I was finding it hard to imagine whether I'd miss it or not.

Alf - I'll give a couple of car-boots a go next weekend. That Paramo, is it looking for a new home?

Felderman - The blue ones? They go for about the same money as a second hand Record, don't they. Are they as good?

Thanks all,

Jake

Jake":x4z343sw said:
Alf - I'll give a couple of car-boots a go next weekend. That Paramo, is it looking for a new home?
Hah! I'd have to locate it first :roll: :lol: I'll happily part with it for the £30 I paid for it, but it's fair main heavy... Cornish holiday anyone? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back