Vice started clicking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Paramo No 50 vice, and every half rotation of the handle there is increased resistance, and then a click. I can't see anything that would cause it, so I imagine that there's something inside the main body of the vice, with the quick release mechanism etc.

I believe that if I remove the bent piece of metal at the right end of the screw in the picture below, then I would be able to fully remove the screw and poke something into the hole, hopefully clearing the problem. However, would it then be easy to reassemble the vice without removing it from the bench? Having finally got the jaws planed just right, I'd rather not have to take it off again if I don't have to!

DSC_7179.jpg

Thanks
Wend

Attachments

• DSC_7179.jpg
    DSC_7179.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 103
Is there supposed to be a bent over nail in the end of the thread? It's not just that catching every revolution?

Otherwise, it does sound like the quick release is slipping for some reason.

Trevanion":u4wb5uak said:
Is there supposed to be a bent over nail in the end of the thread? It's not just that catching every revolution?

Oh, now I feel silly! I think it's more like a split pin than a nail, to stop the end coming off, but it was indeed just one of the legs of that catching on the vice. I must have knocked it somehow, and bent it in the wrong direction. Now bent back, and vice is operating smoothly again :)

Thank you!
Wend

Back