Vice Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building myself a new bench at work and need a big carpenter's vice, as you know these are expensive items and I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, like making my own using a vice screw such as those sold by Axminster. Has anyone else done this and been pleased with the result, and got any photos?

Yes, don't underestimate the size of the wood needed or the taper on the vice faces, other than that, they're pretty good

Aidan

Lowlife":r5q2mr83 said:
I'm building myself a new bench at work and need a big carpenter's vice, as you know these are expensive items and I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, like making my own using a vice screw such as those sold by Axminster. Has anyone else done this and been pleased with the result, and got any photos?

I (very strongly) suspect your cheapest route is a s/h Record or similar.

BugBear

Yes that's what I've been thinking, s/h vs. new DIY, doesn't seem to be a great deal in it, although I could probably have a bigger DIY one for the same price as a smaller s/h.

The main problem with s/h seems to be finding one nearby, on eBay at least, sellers seem either unwilling to ship or want to charge an extortionate amount to do so, so it would have to be local enough and cheap enough to worth a trip to collect in person. I have a couple that I'm keeping an eye on.

If the reviews are to be believed then This One seems pretty good, especially if Rutlands repeat their 10% discount and free delivery again this week, as I suspect they might!

Anyone here have any experience of this one?

Hi Alf,

Alf":1qt1bhxi said:
There's been some evidence in the past that Rutlands only ever publish 5 star reviews, fwiw...

I'd completely forgotten that. Just to confirm, I looked at the first five products that I found on the Rutlands site that had reviews and they were all five star. I rest your case.

Thanks,
Neil

If you can wait until good carboot/steam fair season, you should be able to 'pick your own'. They were all over the place round here this year.

Lowlife":11ef6l1n said:
Yes that's what I've been thinking, s/h vs. new DIY, doesn't seem to be a great deal in it, although I could probably have a bigger DIY one for the same price as a smaller s/h.

The main problem with s/h seems to be finding one nearby, on eBay at least, sellers seem either unwilling to ship or want to charge an extortionate amount to do so, so it would have to be local enough and cheap enough to worth a trip to collect in person. I have a couple that I'm keeping an eye on.

You're right - they are common on eBay and can be had cheaply if you collect. I recommend you to set up a custom search for vices near you with free collection, then save it and have eBay send you emails when matching items are listed. Place a low bid as soon as something is suitable to get first dibs - common things like vices seem never to get many bids.

I recommend you to set up a custom search for vices near you with free collection

I'm ahead of you there Andy, already done that!

As for the Rutland's reviews, I have found a few 4 star ones, and I guess at least five people found the Dakota vice good enough to give it 5 stars, maybe no-one has given it a poor review? It's hard to know for sure, but reading through the comments, assuming they're genuine, I wonder what you'd have to find so bad about it to disagree with the others?

Too bad you're not down here - there's a Record QR (claimed to be in perfect working order) in the local paper at a very reasonable price this very day. Or to look at it another way - do not be confined by the interweb; don't neglect the classifieds in your local paper (if you have one worthy bothering with). Oh, and how about a "Wanted" add in the forum's very own Market Place?

Have a look at your local auction houses.

I bought a very tired and worn out bench with 2 52 1/2 D vices attached for about £30 3 or 4 years ago.
People don't seem to want to buy a whole dilapidated bench.

All good suggestions, thanks.

I think I'll wait and see if Rutlands do have another sale this weekend, if they do I may buy that one and see what it's like, I can always return it if I don't like it. In the meantime I have my eye on a couple of used Records, both would mean a 60-70 mile round trip to collect though which limits what I'm prepared to pay for them.

EDIT: As I suspected Rutlands are doing another 10% off and free shipping weekend (do they do this every weekend?), so I'm going to order that vice and see what it's like, it's for work and will get used and abused by everyone I expect, so I'm not inclined to spend as much as I would if it were for my own personal use at home!

Well the vice arrived from Rutlands this morning and I'm pleasantly surprised, it's big and heavy, quite smooth with little play, not a bad finish either. OK it's not up to Record standards but then it's only 1/3rd of the price, if it were for home use I'd probably have spent the extra £70, but I don't think you really get that much more for the money, the Record is certainly not 3 times as good!

The real test will be to bolt it to the bench this afternoon, fit some wooden jaws and try it out.

Back