Vice recomendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody fitted a Rutlands 230mm vice with QR and are they worth £100 or is there any other make or type i should look for im building my new workshop starting in a month in my garrage when i relocate to Devon so will be mithering you guys for info

Keep your eyes open on eBay for Record vices such as a 52, 52 1/2 or 53. Make sure no cracks in casting and that there is a thread cover and that the bar is not bent (abuse from hammering). Bullet proof and hold their value. Rutlands will be worth next to zero as soon as it is second hand.

Watch Gumtree too, I see ropey workbenches but with good vices on there quite frequently. Got a very nice record vice for £25 that way a few years back.

Thanks will keep an eye out when we move im leaving a Parkinsons 15 vice at this house in a fitted bench in my cellars where my workshop was so treating myself to a replacement at new abode

Has anybody fitted a Rutlands 230mm vice with QR and are they worth £100 or is there any other make or type i should look for im building my new workshop starting in a month in my garrage when i relocate to Devon so will be mithering you guys for info
I reckon it's similar to my unavailable faithfull vice with or works fine but no way £90 worth. I paid £20 iirc...

I had trouble with a cheepish QR vice and it put me off QR vices for good. I got it from a reputable tool shop but within a year it would just pop open. Had to hold the release lever closed to do up the vice. They replaced it but soon the next one was doing the same. Nice as QR is its only good while it works. I made do with it for a couple more years but when I made a new bench I went for a strait screw vice and for the couple more seconds of winding I have the security of knowing that there is nothing can go wrong with it.
Regards
John

+1 for an old Record.

There are plenty about, and as has been noted, the best prices often include a free bench… or look out for them as part of a job lot.

As ever, if you need a vice ASAP, you may not get the bargain of a lifetime. But a good one at a good price is not hard to find.

Look out for a pattern makers vice. Emmert or if you can find one, Wadkin. There are newer copies as well, I think Axminster do one. Be prepared for the cost though!

Stanley 183068 on Amazon for £60 I have one works very well must be bolted securely swivels if needed.
Tony

I had trouble with a cheepish QR vice and it put me off QR vices for good. I got it from a reputable tool shop but within a year it would just pop open. Had to hold the release lever closed to do up the vice. They replaced it but soon the next one was doing the same. Nice as QR is its only good while it works. I made do with it for a couple more years but when I made a new bench I went for a strait screw vice and for the couple more seconds of winding I have the security of knowing that there is nothing can go wrong with it.
Regards
John

QR can be useful - I've just been making some chisel handles and was using my ancient QR back n forth all the time, but yes they can get clogged and the mech is not as sturdy, even Parkinson or Record.

What I now enjoy at another place in the workshop is an even more ancient (I think over 130 years) unnamed cast iron nonQR vice solid as anything and never clogs -- 2 in ebay last week - one at aver £100 and one £10 , I think neither sold. V heavy

Here's a pic of one
woodvicesm1.jpg

obv you'd need to be sure nothing's broken as with any vice, but there's not much to go wrong

My theory (ahem) is that they were made in Keighley, W Yorks at the Britannia Foundry, anyone know more??

the 53E is the best one with the biggest opening, I still want to upgrade my 52 1/2 to a 53E.

Some twenty years ago I bought a 13' bench at auction for £30. The auctioneer was an acquaintance and as we turned thing over carry it out he said bloody hell! look at the size of those vices! I said surely he realised I didn't pay the money for the bench - it was beech and full of worm. It had a 52 1/2 and a 53e fitted. I kept the 53e, sold tthe 52 1/2 along with my existing 52 1/2 for £45 each, and had a week's free firewood.

Looks like my wife is going to use her favourite pass time when we move looking on ebay for a 521/2 or 53e vice might even get one as a present Im going to build my bench mobile ie on castors with 4 jack points to lift it off wheels when in use , Im not going to build a lot of furniture so vice will not be overused but nice to have when i do

Ok Bod taken your advice (no pun intended) Im leaving the bench and taking the vice heres a few photos of the Parkinson Perfect 15 will give it a good fettling when i get to Devon It measures 13 inches when fully open has 9 inch jaws and you can see how i have reversed the QR bracket to keep the threaded shoe in perminant contact with threaded rod , Coat of paint jobs a good un
20220208_162000.jpg
20220208_162000.jpg
20220208_161950.jpg
20220208_162314.jpg
20220208_162405.jpg

Attachments

• 20220208_162217.jpg
    20220208_162217.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
Back