Vice location

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikash

Established Member
Reaction score
I want some advice where to locate my first vice on my workbench. I plan to drill round dog holes and will mainly be clamping small and medium size mdf/ply boxes as I build and finish speaker cabinets. I also plan to start some small hardwood projects and will shortly be searching for my first (decent) plane and chisels.

With this in mind, would it be best to locate the Record 52e as a shoulder or tail vice on the left side of the table?

V

i personally would go for front left, assuming that you are right handed. Again, personally, I would wait and see where you find yourself needing a vice- if you are mainly clamping, then dogs, wedges, holdfasts and possibly some of the veritas clamps etc may be more useful.

+ 1 to that.

And it's an often repeated tip but one I was glad to know before I fitted a vice - when you get to the point of trying to fix a heavy lump of cast iron up underneath a bench - you can support it by clamping a suitable 'leg' of wood in the jaws, to take the weight while you locate the screws.

I completely agree with the above : first vice on the front left of the bench if right-handed (front right if left handed).

Make sure that the position of rows of dog holes you drill are such that you can clamp any size of cabinet you might be making - this depends on the clamp depth of the vice you choose to fit. Nothing more annoying that finding a particular width board/cabinet can't be clamped between the vice and any dog hole, without extra shims !

Thanks, front left it is.

AndyT":1s6ys3yw said:
And it's an often repeated tip but one I was glad to know before I fitted a vice - when you get to the point of trying to fix a heavy lump of cast iron up underneath a bench - you can support it by clamping a suitable 'leg' of wood in the jaws, to take the weight while you locate the screws.
Any reason not to just remove the rear jaw for fitting?

Vikash":1snsheam said:
Thanks, front left it is.

AndyT":1snsheam said:
Any reason not to just remove the rear jaw for fitting?

The rear jaw is the piece you fit...

BugBear

yes, that's what I mean. Seems easy enough just to remove the rear jaw which is then easy to handle/attach to the bench first. I was asking if there's a reason why people are doing it 'the hard way'? ;)

With some of the quick-release vices, dissembly isn't that easy, and re-assembly can be tricky as well.

If you can get some assistance, it may be easier to turn the bench upside-down to fit the vice. At least gravity will hold it in place whilst getting screws in, etc. Many years ago, I managed to fit a Record vice by holding it up one-handed and fiddling coach-screws in with the other hand, but I was young and daft in those days. Wouldn't do it now. At least a two-person job.

Hi,

I have used the plank method a couple of times, and it works very well even on a big vice.

Pete

Cheshirechappie":1q7vfgd0 said:
...but I was young and daft in those days. Wouldn't do it now. At least a two-person job.
Roughly where I am them ;) It was fiddly getting the quick release mechanism re-fitted, but it was definitely worth taking it apart first.

Thanks chaps.

Latest posts

Back