• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Vice jaws rack...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

markturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I fitted a big heavy duty vice from Axminster to my bench and installed some beech jaw cheeks, approx 40mm thick , 170mm deep and 300mm wide. However, despite the vice having a double set of tubes as well as the screw, it still racks when you do it up. Any tips on reducing this or stopping it ? I thought the vice would be stiffer than this...

cheers, Mark

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Most vices rack, apart from the twin-screw, chain-driven ones. They usually rack when you are using only one side of the vice. All you can really do to stop it is to put a piece of wood in the other side. Some people make this packing piece adjustable by using pieces of hardboard screwed together - rather like feeler gauges.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Streepips

Established Member
Reaction score
As Paul says above, racking is easily catered for with compensating pieces, but another thing to consider is if the workpiece is too small for the vice? IE: would using a smaller vice work better with the pieces you are clamping?

markturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had been using the compensating piece solution, I just wondered if it was normal, as I had some trouble re assembling the vice when I fitted the cheeks, and wondered if it may have been related, however, it seems not. thanks for the advice! as always!

cheers, mark

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the "feeler gauge" solution.

I use a thinnish, 125mm long bolt with a penny washer at each end, between the washers are a selection of 125mm x 40mm shims in various thicknesses of 5-20mm, adding up to about 100mm thick in total.

It lives in the tool tray, and I'll fold out a combined thickness that's roughly equal to the work piece thickness and pop it in the "open" end of the vice. Having all these shims on a bolt, rather than loose, makes it easy to set in the vice without needing three hands, and they don't get lost!

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Paul Chapman":2evbqrpc said:
Some people make this packing piece adjustable by using pieces of hardboard screwed together - rather like feeler gauges.
Paging Alf, paging Alf...

BugBear