Vice identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
There are these two vices for sale but I can not identify them.
I guess the main question is if they are suitable for an English bench with aprons and a 3 inch bench top.
Can anybody identify them and advice me please?

Attachments

• EE680F04-9763-4093-B2D8-3BFB087FA901.jpeg
    EE680F04-9763-4093-B2D8-3BFB087FA901.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 59
They look like the York ones that are available under several different names. They are fine for your intended use I think, the top one looks like the quick release variant and I have one on a 80mm thick top with aprons

They look like the York ones that are available under several different names. They are fine for your intended use I think, the top one looks like the quick release variant and I have one on a 80mm thick top with aprons
Thank you TheTiddles

That's very useful. I was wondering if a 3 inches has above the mechanism would be stable and balance for use. Literally the mechanism is going to be almostb3/4 way down the jaws.

Yes, you are correct, you are applying a cantilever load to the vice jaw and it will rock open at the top, vice jaws are often tapered to accommodate this. It happens on all vices, metal ones less, it it still happens.

Designs like the old English ones with the l-shaped bracket and a screw passing through it removes this problem… and creates another that there’s a great big l-shaped bracket sticking out.

Like any tool it depends on what you are using or for as to how appropriate it is, those vice mechanisms work fine for many and have done for a few hundred years I think

It will work fine. Mine has been in use for 8 years now under a 3'' top.
P1010004 (2).JPG
The stability bars and screw actually go through the front jaw. Keep the holes that the bars are in a snug fit and the main screw hole slightly oversize. They are a good simple vice and work well.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back