Very wide boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter-harrison

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember seeing a post on here, some time ago, about a timber yard in Wales or the Borders, which sells very large boards. I've searched this forum but there are an awful lot of posts that contain the words "wide" and "board"!
Can anyone help?

You might try Wentworth Timber Centre near Usk in Monmouthshire. I haven’t been post covid so suggest phoning first.

How large do you mean? Tyler hardwoods have basically entire trees so pretty wide.

Ollie

My local yard had a stack of rings about 5 feet across last time I visited them.

They were nothing more than a curiosity to me, but I should have taken a photo.

They don't generally have boards as wide though. I think the rings were just a one off.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I’m looking for a single oak board, 2.3m x 600mm finished. The thickness doesn’t matter too much as long as it can end up about 20+mm thick when flattened.
the big ask is that it has to go indoors- and has to be shake and knot free. I have a kiln so air dried would be considered.

I think you're going to struggle mightily with the defect free part, especially with timber that size.

I've never seen anything like that and I've selected and converted over 70 tonnes of oak.

Give them a ring at Tyler hardwoods, pretty sure they can find one. I know it's not super local but they will be able to tell you over the phone if they have anything like what you want.
You will be struggling to find a defect free board at that size though.

Ollie

If appearance is important and you can't find a board wide enough, you might consider finding a timber yard which can sell you two 300mm+ wide consecutive slices from the same log. Then you could edge joint them bookmarked, to avoid random grain lines across the joint.

That size isn’t particularly unusual, but you’ll have to accept some form of shake and knots as its come from an old tree, they tend to pick up defects over time.

I’d go for veneers at that size of you want it clean

I bought some oak for very wide stair treads for a double winder stairs form ukstairsparts.co.uk .....22mms in thickness excellent quality....the were not single piece but beautiful grain non the less.
Give them a tinkle they might be able to help you.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I’m looking for a single oak board, 2.3m x 600mm finished. The thickness doesn’t matter too much as long as it can end up about 20+mm thick when flattened.
the big ask is that it has to go indoors- and has to be shake and knot free. I have a kiln so air dried would be considered.
That is a seriously wide board for 20mm thick finish. I have slabs here in ash that size and has very clear grain right through the whole piece.

Thanks for your suggestions. After much Ecosia-ing, I found Interesting Timbers, who have just what I'm after, plus they can thickness it for me (my thicknesser will only do 300mm).

Hi there to Oak but have just seen these for sale if it helps
https://www.bpiauctions.com/auction...Email&utm_campaign=3034#!/auctionDetails/3034

Thanks for your suggestions. After much Ecosia-ing, I found Interesting Timbers, who have just what I'm after, plus they can thickness it for me (my thicknesser will only do 300mm).
That was going to be my suggestion to try. They are very helpful. They sold me an off cut of brown oak a while back that is 400mm wide and 60mm thick by 2.2m and when I picked it up it realy was an offcut sat on top of a moster pile of very wide boards.

Back