Very dark red wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few of these boards thinking it was just dirty on the surface pine but after planing it I found this rather lovely deep red grain. What do you call it?

Attachments

• IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 295
Pictures not good enough to tell.
Close ups of the board and the end grain will give you a chance at identification.
You sure its red? looks brown to me.

sunnybob":17s2kq45 said:
You sure its red? looks brown to me.

Its definitely got red in it as well as brown.
you can see in the picture on the left I have a dark brown oak effect piece of laminate flooring and on the right a bright red laptop.

Attachments

• IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    661.5 KB · Views: 277
lots of sapwood unfortunately

Attachments

• IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 278
Good man Osvaldd
You will be packed to the rafters with iroko door components if you keep it up.
Keep an eye on shabby/condemned houses with for sale signs on busy roads.
It seems once one house has had a revamp, another skip appears at a house nearby.
Hotels and pubs getting revamped is another good source to look for.
Nearly every house or pub has a door made from iroko.

Good luck
Tom

Looks like a bit of spruce to me, which is basically what CLS is made from. It's not uncommon to get colouring like that in most softwoods.

it looks like vintage pine to me, very old pine goes this colour especially after 50 + years, I found some pine that was from the 1930s once and it looked a lot like this piece with the heartwood colour.

I need some thick stock to make legs for this table top that I made from oak floorboards.
would this red-pine be alright? Or is mixing species is a big no no. ?

Attachments

• IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    586.7 KB · Views: 223
Osvaldd":2gm9ygt2 said:
I need some thick stock to make legs for this table top that I made from oak floorboards.
would this red-pine be alright? Or is mixing species is a big no no. ?

It isn't so much the mixing of species, but like choosing clothes the species need to work with each other. With clothes it is colour and style. With wood it tends to be colour and grain/texture. You can try to match colours or have contrasting colour- both work, but if you have a fine grain and a course grain it is like wearing a suit and shorts. Yep, some people do but it looks odd to most bystanders.

Thanks marcros, the analogy of clothing style makes sense I suppose, but it also gives a lot of freedom.

I made a three wood sewing table, oak top, somekindof short-grained hardwood rails and scaffolding board legs - its not the greatest thing but you know, it's better than what I could afford to buy. imo anyway.

cheers and happy weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4734.JPG
    IMG_4734.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 122
Came into the thread to suggest paint as an option also.

Paint is the great equaliser, it can make any mix of woods look uniform if needed. I don't much care if it's still trendy or not but I think wood with a clear finish on it can go very nicely with painted elements. Hardwood tabletop over painted legs? Very nice.

Nice job on that sewing table Osvaldd. Regardless of what anyone else thinks about using combinations of species you're actually making stuff, that's the main thing.

Back