Very cheap Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't seem particualy cheap to me - I pay a little less for 1" sawn A. Wh. Oak - and the boards look a lot better then the pics on that website. Unless it's English or European Oak.
Still I'm sure it's not a bad price, but do shop around!
Cheers
Gidon

waterhead37":1gua2zlc said:
I guess everyone knows what "character" means in this context.
Cynic :wink: but it's exactly what I thought too. Timber yard version of estate agent speak I s'pose. :roll:

Has anyone used them before?

Cheers, Alf

Newbie_Neil":2mpjegwa said:
Hi Tony

Have you used them before?

Cheers
Neil

Not yet but I hope to nip down on Saturday morning for 5 cuft or so. I phoned them and they are happy for you to climb around the piles and pick your own boards

Gidon, where do you pay less for Oak? My suppliers usually charge £40+ per cu ft for Oak and I have stopped buying it. Cheap boards are what I need

I bought 10 pieces of different timbers as a "sampler" to see what some of their stuff was like a few years ago. Nice piece of spalted beech, sadly full of woodworm that had me very worried for a couple of years...

There was also a piece of Jarrah in the same lot that I left stacked in a pile with some pine offcuts. When I came to look at it twelve months later, there was a hole a good 7mm across clean through the Jarrah, through 2" of pine, and back again through another place in the Jarrah. One very hungry and big wood-eating bug.

I never found evidence of what ate the timber, but about 18 months later I moved my workbench and found a big purple-hued beetle, dried and dessicated behind it. It was a real beasty. I looked it up at the time and can't remember now what it was, but I've seen no sign since and so I'm clear. The best defence in my workshop is the lack of humidity - I have a garage that's part of the house, and keeps pretty dry all year round.

As a result of these gremlins, I've not tried Good Timber again. To be fair, bugs can hit anywhere. They are very friendly and I'm not put off them forever. In fact, I am sorely tempted by some of their Antipodean wonders. Also in my haul was some She-Oak, which is just gorgeous. I turned some of it into a Colen-Clenton inspired marking gauge, and it really does finish nicely with oil. I'd like to make some furniture from She-Oak when I come across an appropriate tuit.

Cheers,

AG

Hi All
I used them a year or so ago for some Beech, they had the best prices and good service I have not used them since though.

Bean

I have bought some cherry from them last year. Not a lot and now I have bought american cherry from Thorogoods I know why it was cheap, it was not american. :?

You do need to select what you are buying, they did have some very interesting timber there but also some that looked no better than you could get from a skip :shock:

Back