VERY cheap high precision height guage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I am making a height gauge from an old dial vernier that has been lying around unused for 6 months or more since 'going digital'

Why???

Because they cost £70+ :shock: - that's why!!

I am making it from aluminium but made a mock up from oak using only hand tools last night. Took about an hour and works so well, I am left wondering about the sagacity of using ali :?

I cut the extraneous bits off the gauge using an angle grinder (hardened stainless steel) and sprayed water on it all the time to prevent blueing.
Guage is held in place with a 4mm screw which I tapped into the oak.

After I built it, I 'flattened' the base on sandpapaer a la handplane - but much quicker :)

What can I say, it works PERFECTLY!!! Well worth the effort and actually buying a new gauge (plastic type would be even easier) to make one in my opinion.

With_Grinder.jpg

ON_Table.jpg

Tools used (+ drill and angle grinder)

With_Tools.jpg

OK.. the squirty bottle I can let slide (filed under "mod fetish") but that last totally uncalled for uber gloat in the last pic cost ya any brownie points that the jig might have earned you... tools used... sheesh... you think we'd fall for that auld chestnut....????
Much more of that and you'll be sent to stand in the corner till you mend your evil ways..
:p
That aside... I've been mulling over the same prob myself for ages, contemplating using the same tool too... couldn't resolve the base plate issue without a serious "think about it" session... the Trend height guage isn't the most accurate measuring widget I've used...

nicely done..

Tony, presume you wear shades when you use the RT? Kinda bright.
Does you gauge slide up and down when raising and lowering the router bit? Or do you just use it as a gauge? I'll try again. Can the bit move the gauge? I give up. Answer as best you can................

Noel

I see the depth plunger's been left in too... could be nasty if you lean over it..

just remember... Always were these...<tap tap tap>... Safety glasses...

:wink:

Very impressive.

Start knocking those out and you'll have Moore & Wright on their heels!

Nice one Tony
Looks like an accurate ans simple idea!
Might even try that myself.
By the way-how are you coming on with the Incra? She's a beaut, ain't she? :wink:
Philly :D

Tony,

As others have said - congrats on the gloat. Oh and well done on the depth gauge too!

I can't quite see from the photo but I guess that you can zero it on the table before making a measurement?

Noely":8wqzr71u said:
Tony, presume you wear shades when you use the RT? Kinda bright.
Does you gauge slide up and down when raising and lowering the router bit? Or do you just use it as a gauge? I'll try again. Can the bit move the gauge? I give up. Answer as best you can................

Noel

Sorry about the brightness :D haven't finished the RT yet (using that new MDF with the laminate on which will be even brighter :) ) and don't know how to use the camera properly 'cause I could never be bothered to read the manual :oops:

The head doesn't go up and down with the router bit as is is too stiff. I looked at a plastic dial gauge and I am pretty sure this would move with the bit as the movement was much easier.
To be honest, if one removed the depth measurement thingy that runs along the middle of the gauge as well as the thumb adjuster, I would think it would then move with the bit

The thing is surprisingly accurate :wink:

Mike
Sorry about the 'tools used' :lol: It won't (oh yeah?) happen again :roll:

Chris

The outer rim of the dial rotates for zero - so yes easy to zero before stating. I hand lapped the base and the measuring head flat and aligned - easy when it's made of wood, but aluminium????

Philly":20rjki29 said:
Nice one Tony
Looks like an accurate ans simple idea!
Might even try that myself.
By the way-how are you coming on with the Incra? She's a beaut, ain't she? :wink:
Philly :D

Can't believe how good it is :D Just waiting for the metric racks to arrive and I'll be even happier :lol:

Tsk. At least you might be open and honest about gloating instead of trying to conceal it behind a jig... :roll:

Looks good. Any chance of close ups? You know, shots where you just have the main subject in focus and taking up all the frame, instead of all these bit players in the background looking shiny. :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I never even suspected Alf has a thing about Bosch angle grinders. Or is it the water spray gun?

Gill (reaching for her hat and coat...)

GillD":3ej1f2fv said:
I never even suspected Alf has a thing about Bosch angle grinders. Or is it the water spray gun?
The latter. It's a vital tool for bathing parrots as it happens and I'm always on the look out for a good one. :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Tony

You mentioned metric racks - I presume these are for the Incra? I got those from Incra when I was in Dallas a couple of years ago. I phoned them and spoke to the man (I've forgotten his name) who wrote the book that you get with the Incra about the dovetails you can do with it. He told me that the metric racks are incompatible with the patterns that are supplied. So I decided to leave the original racks in place.
I replaced the Incra fence, which I then transferred to my TS sliding table and have used the metric racks on that for accurate positioning.
I also wanted a metric version of the magnetic stainless steel ruler, but they don't do one. He said that the owner wasn't interested because there was insufficient demand for metric!

tycho14":2t2vc5yf said:
Tony

You mentioned metric racks - I presume these are for the Incra?

Yes, they're the ones. Already on order from America and hopefully be here soon :D

Latest posts

Back