Very cheap floor covering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
We have some people coming to our house soon and it's important that we make a good impression. Unfortunately, at the moment we have no floor coverings and the floorboards are liberally splattered with glue, plaster and paint from the renovation works.

I've tried cleaning the floorboards up but scraping the crud off them is seriously hard work and not terribly effective as plaster has got down into the grain of the wood in places.

What I'm looking for is a super cheap floor covering that I can quickly lay and will look respectable for a few weeks. I've only got to cover the hall and first floor landing really so if there is a cheap narrow covering that's an option.

Cheers for any suggestions :D

what about using vynal roll end bargains. It doesnt sound like a huge area.

wobblycogs":zqt0ktk9 said:
We have some people coming to our house soon and it's important that we make a good impression. Unfortunately, at the moment we have no floor coverings and the floorboards are liberally splattered with glue, plaster and paint from the renovation works.

I've tried cleaning the floorboards up but scraping the crud off them is seriously hard work and not terribly effective as plaster has got down into the grain of the wood in places.

What I'm looking for is a super cheap floor covering that I can quickly lay and will look respectable for a few weeks. I've only got to cover the hall and first floor landing really so if there is a cheap narrow covering that's an option.

Cheers for any suggestions :D

Sounds like my house! :mrgreen:

Is it worth hiring\buying a flooring sander and giving the boards a quick buzz? It'll obviously come in handy later on as well.

Or just get some cheap carpet - roll ends, etc.

HIH

Dibs

edit: I've seen that temporary protective stuff laid on floors, sort of http://www.floorprotection.co.uk/t-bord.html or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-B35-F ... _688wt_982 which doesn't look as good.

Looks better than splattered floors and your guests will think, you've got some expensive flooring underneath. :wink: And goes down quick!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I've seriously considered getting a cheap belt sander and seeing what effect that has, would rather not hire something at first as I know there are still a lot of hidden nail heads. I could shoot the plasterer for not putting covers down before starting work, too late now though.

Hi Wobblycogs

Why not buy some very cheap laninate?
My brother has kids and a dog and replaces his avery couple of years. He's just laid a load he bought from Homebase (I think) for around £3 a m2. Most of the sheds have really cheap stuff and B&Q regularly sell off loads of it.

If it was really temporary then don't buy the underlay.

Bob

Have a look at the some basic cord carpet, I picked up some for £3-4. It was easy to fit, clean, comes in a number of colours.

I think an obviuosly hard working family trying to improve their home are entitled to say "Sorry but we are doing some home improvements, sorry about the mess". That would make a "Good impression" on me.

Save your dosh to floor it when the time is right.

99% of the time I would completely agree with you Tinbasher but on this occasion we really need to get it covered up.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of cord carpet Steven. 2.99 a sq/m is the cheapest I've found so far.

Latest posts

Back