Very Big Hand Files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am clearing out my garage. Came across 4 very big files (used) given to me many years ago--never used by myself. I am thinking of selling them as I will never use them.
Can anybody tell me what 'trade' would use them?

The files are:
Flat file--23 3/4" including handle
Triangular file--17 3/4" including handle
Triangular file--23 1/4" including handle
Round file--20 1/2" including handle

Attachments

• P1040353.JPG
    P1040353.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 75
Most any of the metal trades. Sheet metal, machinists, mechanics, fabricators etc. Postage would kill it for me otherwise I'd be interested.

Pete

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/how-did-turnip-files-get-their-name You mentioned big files and I thought of the obvious so I looked it up and came across this humorous (now) explanation, how much truth there is is open to debate, I always thought it came from big blokes in Yorkshire saying pass me that b………… File . Ian

Probably nobody now.

The one file appears to be completely clapped out (but they can be made into knives and forgers like them. I don't like the metal cutting files quite so much as they don't forge as easily and seem to be less plain than the files meant for hooves or wood).

Nicholson still makes a very large file called a "pipeliner" - I could only guess what they're used for by the name.

There is a file sharpening service in the US that uses a wet grit blasting method. Any file that doesn’t pass their sharpness standard gets the tang painted red and comes back to you with no charge. They only charge for the ones that are sharp and up to snuff. They do rasps too. It’s possible that there is a British company doing the same. On the phone or I’d put up the link.
Pete

Given your location it’s quite likely they are from the ship building industry? But large files were often used for fettling castings or indeed any large size work, having said that it’s some stroke with 20” files !
Ah! Just read the post again and you have included the handle so reduce the length by say 4 or 5” thus making them not that large, nevertheless I would still guess they are from the shipyards

At one time they used to "refurbish" files by acid dipping

Lant in the old days. This doesn't revive extremely dull files, though. It was a way to etch a slowly used file over time to remove a worn layer.

Liquid honing is the preferred refresh method here, but it also relies on shapely but dull teeth remaining.

Fwiw, it costs about $15 To get a Nicholson pipelines here, so the residual value of large worn out files is fairly small. I would remove the handles and list those on eBay as fodder for blacksmiths for about half of new.

Anyone wanting to file metal would use them, I've a few from my engineering days 50 yrs ago, used throughout my 30+ yrs in my motor repair/restoration business. Very useful

Back