verktum hultapors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Platt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 metre folding rule, Verktum Hultapors, it folds into ten sections and is accurately 2000mm long. It is also 80 3/4 inches long according to the corresponding measurements making it basically 2 inches longer than it should be.
Does anyone know why?
all the best
rob

That's odd. I have one too, which is quite recent, and I think probably the same make:

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

- no problems there.

Checking a little bit further, I think your rule might be older. This extract from Wikipedia could be the explanation:

In Sweden, between 1855 to 1863, the existing Swedish "working inch" of ≈24.74 mm was replaced by a "decimal inch" of ≈29.69 mm which was one tenth of the Swedish foot. Proponents argued that a decimal system simplifies calculations. However, having two different Swedish inch measures (and the English inch on top of that) proved to be complicated. So in a transition period between 1878 and 1889 the metric units were introduced as the overall standard measures. However, the various inches survived some time in building and construction trades.

hi andy thats exactly the one apart from the measurements in your second picture which shows 78 3/4 inches which is right mine says 80 3/4. your explanation with regard to the swedish inches fits the answer i was looking for. when i googled verktum hultapors i got a shed load of info but all in a foreign language which would now appear to be swedish i really should have paid more attention at school. thanks for the info..
all the best
rob

Ooo, different inch nationalities; nasty. Right up there with patternmakers' rules as trips for the unwary woodworker. Think I have one of those in the pile o' tools - might just be wise to double check that, methinks...

Back