Veritas Wonder Dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not sure whether this is technically a hand tool question, but there is no electricity involved, so maybe.

Does anybody use the Veritas wonder dog or surface vice? I am wondering whether it could be a suitable alternative to a tail vice and would be interested to canvas opinion.

TIA
MArk

Funny enough I've recently done exactly what you are considering, taken my tail vice off and begun to use a Wonder Dog in it's place. Originally I was going to fit a wagon vice, but it's a Maguire bench and I don't have the bottle to chop a big mortice in it!

I did look at the Veritas surface vice, but for half the money I thought I would try the Wonder Dog first, reasoning that If it didn't work I would get the surface vice and use the wonder dog for other stuff.

To be honest it has been a great success, loads of clamping pressure, the low profile doesn't get in the way and I can put it wherever I want on the bench. It also has screw holes drilled in so you can add an additional wooden face for odd shaped work.

I've only used it for relatively short boards, I make violins and cellos, but I couldn't see a problem for longer stock.

Hope this helps

El.

That is a good idea- I agree that it looks useful enough that if it doesnt suit as a tail vice it can be used for other stuff. I could always buy the full surface vice, or a record QR if I didnt get on with it.

luckily the rutlands offer was extended, so I snapped one up for about £25!

Back