Veritas variable scraper Burnisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic little gadget this has turned out to be. My scrapers have been gathering dust of late and i decided to give them a treat. i have used old saw blade steel for my scrapers and the filing and honing has taken its toll. they are normally filed then honed on the stone then given a rub off the edge of and old round turning tool to get the burr, crude but it always gave reasonable results.
I saw this advertised and thought what the heck i'll give it a go..... it comes with a scraper with the edges already burred but i cleaned these off so as to set it to my liking. it even has instructions for use on the reverse of the box.
The variable burnisher has a carbide rod fixed at an angle inside a brass hub, the hub can then be set from 0 - 15 degrees. i was never sure what angle i was putting into my scrapers but found the angle set to be helpful in that i liked the 10 degree setting. The body of the burnisher is shaped to suit my hand and has a slot running the entire length to allow the scraper to be pulled along the carbide to create a burr. No more careless misses and cut fingers for me.
It works great on old and new scrapers. I also liked the scraper that came with it.
testing my scrapers i pushed and pulled over some twisted grain ash and they cut excellent almost effortless. feather like shavings from whatever angle i used.
I like to feel the scrapers just using my hands but the heat sometimes generated i might consider buying one of their holders.
I must admit that i'm starting to blow the dust off the hand tools more and more.
Would i recommend it........Definitly.......... for seasoned scraper users or new to burnishing process give it a try.........first rate little gadget

regards
Ian

Ian,
It's a handy little gadget, all right. Surprising how gentle you need to be with it. I used to put a lot of pressure on it and was never happy with the burr. You almost don't want to be able to feel the burr.
(personally, I'm a 5 degree man, myself! :D )
Definitely better than a stack of sandpaper!
regards
Philly :D

Sounds like a dream tool compared to a standard burnisher! Where did you get it from? Brimarc?

Got mine from Axminster..

good review Ian.... and a tasty bench too.. ;)

Now I don't want to dent BriMarc's sales, but I've done my bit for them in other ways, so:

You might want to invest in a clever burnisher device, or make something like the one shown in Bob Smalser's guide. I did the latter and used a defunct solid carbide router cutter shank, and oh boy, it's the biz.
FWIW.
whistling.gif

Ian Daziel":1cq22tmu said:
I must admit that i'm starting to blow the dust off the hand tools more and more
<snigger>

Cheers, Alf

Alf":asxdrnt7 said:
Now I don't want to dent BriMarc's sales, but I've done my bit for them in other ways, so:

You might want to invest in a clever burnisher device, or make something like the one shown in Bob Smalser's guide. I did the latter and used a defunct solid carbide router cutter shank, and oh boy, it's the biz.
FWIW.
whistling.gif

<snigger>

Cheers, Alf

... and here I was going to hand carry a Christmas present for you when I hop the pond next week .... for shame.

Rob

(machinist's dowel pins can work well for burnishing too...)

(machinist's dowel pins can work well for burnishing too...)

as can old turning tools.......

I did the latter and used a defunct solid carbide router cutter shank, and oh boy, it's the biz.

tried that but wasnt comfortable, just a bit on the short side,

veritas is the safest i've found

Tony i got it from axminster

Alf,

Youve got me all shy now i was going to do a write up on the veritas beading tool but i'll leave it for now.

regards
Ian

Rob Lee":3mysj6kn said:
... and here I was going to hand carry a Christmas present for you when I hop the pond next week .... for shame.
Damn, damn, damn. Timing's never been my forte...
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif

Ian Daziel":3mysj6kn said:
I did the latter and used a defunct solid carbide router cutter shank, and oh boy, it's the biz.

tried that but wasnt comfortable, just a bit on the short side,
Who didn't follow the link then?
tounge.gif
The beauty of that design is you get a set angle of your choice and get to make a fancy turned handle for it too, should you desire (I did, needless to say). And just great for Normites with lots of defunct router bits. I had to actually use a brand new, unused bit from a set 'cos I so rarely use any router cutters now.
blush2.gif

Ian Daziel":3mysj6kn said:
Youve got me all shy now i was going to do a write up on the veritas beading tool but i'll leave it for now.
Tsk, didn't mean to do that. Sorry.
cry.gif
Please do review the beader; as long as you don't mind links to scratchstocks as well...*
blush2.gif

Cheers, Alf

*Not necessarily from me; BB's very keen on scratchstocks

Awww, comeon guys, stop: this is one area where I'm really happy with my old screwdriver shank: I love the cheap re-use of an old friend, and I don't want to even think that anything will really make a difference....

my old screwdriver shank

I would strongly suggest someone much harder, and shiny to boot.

My burnisher is an old kitchen sharpening steel with the "teeth" polished off.

Works nicely;; as other have mentioned, don't press too hard, no matter which burnisher you use.

BugBear

Cut a slot in an offcut of oak and drilled a 15 degree hole across it on the drill press to hold a 1/2" shaft of an old router bit yesterday afternoon (10 mins to make). Works great and cost nothing which is good as my christmas list won't stretch to £30 for a burnisher :(

Tony":t9or9vtj said:
Cut a slot in an offcut of oak and drilled a 15 degree hole across it on the drill press to hold a 1/2" shaft of an old router bit yesterday

Tony,

You must have asbestos knuckles if you can scrape with that much angle on the burr"!

waterhead37":9z40767k said:
Tony":9z40767k said:
Cut a slot in an offcut of oak and drilled a 15 degree hole across it on the drill press to hold a 1/2" shaft of an old router bit yesterday

Tony,

You must have asbestos knuckles if you can scrape with that much angle on the burr"!

Why so? This is the angle I had read about as the one to use. Seems OK in use with the scraper held at somewhere around 45 degrees to the job.

Tony,

I find that with that much angle I have to tip the scraper so far forward that my knuckles touch the surface as I scrape - and get hot/sore! I find about 5 degrees plenty for most scraping jobs and generally the lower the angle the longer the burr seems to last

Thanks Chris.

I will try 5 degrees. Strangely, with the 15 degree burr, I don't find my knuckles touching the wood or even near it. Either :

A) You have exceptionally large knuckles (Chris Neanderthal Waterhead?)
B) I can't use a scraper correctly

It's B isn't it? :oops:

Snapped a (cheap) router bit the other day :evil: - at least it means I now have a 1/2" shaft to make a Bob Smalser burnisher with. The question is, what angle should I set the bit at? In the article, Bob uses a 15 degree angle, but Chris has said here that a 15 degree burr is way too much. Any recommendations? 5 degrees maybe?

Thanks,

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back