Veritas Twin Screw Vice Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
There seems to have been a fair bit of wood movement on my flimsy greenheart bench!
As a result the Twin screwvice is not pulling together quite straight.
There is about a 2mm gap at the left end when the right side is tight.
Not much I know but enough to cause slippage if you only want to hold a delicate piece gently.
I have passed on the plans and now don't know how to adjust this error out if at all.
Any ideas folks?
Regards
Martin

Chris
Yep, thats one way but I believe that there is some method of adjusting the chain to allow the errant jaw to close a little befor the one that is OK.
Wish I could remember who I sent the plans and instructions to here on the board :?
Weather here has now perked up so will be at the boot saleon Sunday and looking for your sawset!
Regards
Martin

Martin,

On my Veritas vice, IIRC there is a collar that is held in place with a grubscrew. You ought to be able to loosen it, screw the vice parallel and retighten it.

Martin

have you got your instructions still as the solution is in section 11 page 5.

"make sure spring pin engaged in hole on rh sprocket, balance chain by grasping with two fingers in the centre then tighten two set screws on left sprocket. .....should wood movement occur ..lossen set screws and repeat"

Roger

Roger
Many thanks, I knew it was something like that.
In future I will photocopy the instructions before I pass on to someone else.
Regards
Martin

Back