Veritas Spokeshaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
After a very useful discussion with Waterhead and Philly (thank you both) I decided to buy the Veritas spokeshaves (Cheers, Philly (I think), sorry Chris!). I picked them up today.

The convex one I opened in the shop and is fine. The flat one I didn't and isn't. What do you think?
DSCF0002%20(Medium).JPG

The flat one has a load of gubbins in the casting. I know it is supposed to be textured, and this is cosmetic not structural or functional, but this is horrible. And these are supposed to be some of the finest tools available? I have to say I am disappointed. Am I being unreasonable? I Bought them fromt the Tool Shop in Derby. I have a good relationship with them, and this is not their fault. I don't think they will argue, but it's hassle for them. It's taken Brimarc 10 days to process their order, so I don't know how long it would take to sort out.

Should go banging on a few desks or am I being too picky? Tell me if I am.

Cheers
Steve

<Drags Steve and his post unwillingly into the Hand Tool light...>*

Hmm, I don't recall anything quite so pebbledashed in my extensive perusals, I must admit. However it is only cosmetic... at least I assume it's not indicative of casting flaws beneath <tries to recall casting 101 and fails>. Rob's the man for the definitive answer, but if you're not happy then I'm sure Brimarc will do their utmost to right the problem, although how quickly they can might be out of their hands...

Having sat on the fence so carefully I'll get me coat.
blush2.gif

Cheers, Alf

*In other words, moved from General Woodworking

No Steve, you're not being picky, by any means. I wouldn't be happy and have no doubt LV and Brimarc will rectify matters.

Noel

PS This is not meant to be a shove, so to speak, in the suppliers' direction. In my experience they certainly don't need a shove.

Hi Steve

Not too smooth but then it's not a functional flaw and the thing is a tool after all, not an ornament. Personally I think I would probably just keep and use it as long as the shave works properly

I guess only you can decide how much it matters! It is clear from this forum that there are many levels of 'acceptable' and different people want different things from their tools

Poor finish 'v' 10+ day wait.......

Steve,
Sorry to hear about that-have you tried it in anger yet? Depends on how close you like to grip the shave.
(FWIW I ordered the little Preston L-N today....... :roll: )
regards
Philly :D

Steve Maskery":2p9bgtts said:
What do you think?
Steve[/quote]

Blimey, I would'nt have batted an eyelid. Does it cut nice, does it work well, and is it comfortable is the criteria I normally apply to tools.

Just my (clearly not widely held) opinion!

Adam

Steve I would take it back as the casting has not been finished properly, this may seem petty but you have paid for a spokeshave with a correctly finished casting and have not received one, its very simple. I reject larger jobs(casting) for simular defects. Once you accept these defects you make them acceptable. Its a slippery slope :shock:

Bean

I've just had a set of 3 from LV and the casting texture also varies between them. None were as rough as shown. Fit for purpose? - most probably yes, but as a discerning buyer (by definition buying Veritas), if you are unhappy to keep it then I'm sure that the LV agent will sort it.

Steve,

The texturing does look quite rough - but I'm sure Rob will advise here or via pm if it's within their tolerances. However, I think the main issue here is you think it looks horrible. A tool of this price should please you in both performance and looks - it should be with you for a long time. If every time you pick it up you wish you'd changed it I'm guessing you'll be sorry.

I would imagine Brimarc will be able to replace it directly within a few days if they have it in stock. I had a similiar issue with a LV large shoulder plane bought from the Axminster show. I got a replacement one through Brimarc a few days later - they (together with Rob Lee) dealt with the issue superbly.

Cheers

Gidon

Just spoken to Brimarc.

"If you are not happy, just post it back to us and we'll replace it."

No having to rant, they offered. No Argument, no hassle (-well apart from having to pack it up and go to the post office etc).

So, so far so good. Just means I can't get on with this Emergency Wedding Present (it's only an Emergency because I've left it and left it. It's a clock, supposed to be in rural India by 4.12.04 - methinks it might be a tad late, as I've made nothing more than the finial yet...)

So, better news than what greeted me when I got up this morning - wife's car broken into on the drive, ransacked, nothing stolen but a right mess, knackered door and lock etc. Only about the tenth time it's happened.
:evil:

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":37rtqtqq said:
So, better news than what greeted me when I got up this morning - wife's car broken into on the drive, ransacked, nothing stolen but a right mess, knackered door and lock etc. Only about the tenth time it's happened.
:evil:

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to hear that. I had mine done recently, it's a right PITA sorting out repairs etc. Wouldn't have so bad if they weren't such incopetent ploanks. Having failed to lever the back window off (damaging the paint/metalwork), they smashed it. Finding they couldn't open the lock (deadlocked) they tried to level the lock with a screwdriver (lots of damage to locks) unsuccessful, they tried pulling the door handle off (lots of damage to nearside door where they had their feet on it to provide something to pull against + damage to handle, they finally levered the whole handle, locks, the whole lot and got the door open. Windscreen man said he'd never seen such a mess, other than the BMW he did a month or so before, where they used a cordlsss jigsaw to cut through the entire dashboard to get at the radio.

When I lived in Nottingham, a mate had his wheels nicked, and they cheeky ******s came round the following week and offered to sell them back to him.

Adam

I had a similiar issue with a LV large shoulder plane bought from the Axminster show. I got a replacement one through Brimarc a few days later

Gidon
What issue did you have with the large shoulder plane? I have only looked at mine (medium) once as I have other things to do at the moment

SP - the casting process had left some black markings on the front of the plane on and above the mouth. I checked it out with Rob Lee and he thought it was a second that somehow had slipped through. He got Brimarc to swap me one out and this one seems a peach :). It's a lovely tool. I'm glad I waited for the large plane vs the medium one - it's perfect for trimming tenon cheeks too! (Of course in an ideal world I'd have the medium one too and the bullnose for that matter :).)

Cheers

Gidon

Ummmmm.. Rob....erta...?? :eek: :shock: :eek:

<not goin any farther......

Ahem....

more tea Vicar...???

Back