Veritas Spokeshaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gidon, I had a good look at mine last night (shoulder plane that is) and thankfully cant find any faults everything is in A1 condition.

I had every intention of buying the large shoulder plane in tools 2004,
but came away with the medium it fits in my hand like a glove.

Veritas low angle next, what size one is anther topic?

Hi Steve -

Glad to hear Brimarc looked after you...

That casting was certainly a bit rough on the front - we don't (and can't) really have a tolerance per se on non critical surfaces - it's left up to the judgement of those that handle it during the production process. I think you were right to ask for an exchange if you weren't happy with it.

In the past few weeks - we've made a number of changes to how we assemble/inspect planes and shaves - and are tightening up on how we deal with some of the cosmetic issues. Our foundries are also helping here too - and continue to improve.

Cheers -

Rob

After another fruitless week of trying to persuade my employer that paying attention to quality pays dividends in the end, I gotta say that it's refreshing to hear that somewhere, somebody does take it seriously... Hats off to ya Rob...

:wink:

SP,

Ah - remember now that you ended up with the medium. I spent ages trying to decide between the two.

Veritas low angle next, what size one is anther topic?

Well I went for the LV low angle jack in the end :).

Cheers,

Gidon

As I understand things, the "normal" LV spokeshaves were intended as a catalogue replacement for the Record/Stanley #151, when the QC on those hit rock bottom.

These LV shaves are not "dream tools", they're well priced, well made, working tools.

Improving the texture on a surface that is contact with neither hand nor workpiece would seem (to me) to add production cost without benefitting performance.

If it improves as a side effect of other production changes, that's all well and good.

BugBear (big fan of "handsome is as handsome does")

bugbear":kgjhci2a said:
(snip)
Improving the texture on a surface that is contact with neither hand nor workpiece would seem (to me) to add production cost without benefitting performance.

(snip)

Hi Bugbear -

Thanks for kind comments. I do agree with your statement - but in this case, the rough part of the casting is where I'd put my thumbs when holding the tool. You're correct that it makes no practical difference.... but as Steve has a pair, he'll always see one as "flawed"... and will be reminded of it every time he picks it up.

If they were my shaves - I'd want to replace it too.... which is why we'd be happy to do so, hopefully leaving Steve with a completely different long term impression. After all - he's not done buying tools yet is he...? :wink:

Cheers -

Rob

It's very good to hear, and get, such positive responses from suppliers. I got an invitation from Martin Brown to call him, he has supervised this personally, as the guy I spoke to last week is away for a few days (many companies would just have it sitting in his In-Tray until his return), and the replacement is being checked before dispatch to ensure no repeat of the problem.
I would also point out that this is being handled not grudgingly out of obligation, but in a good spirit. As Rob says above, when you have a pair, one would always look flawed, whether or not it is only cosmetic. And, from the comments of others, I get the impression this is the normal way they handle issues, it's not just because I'm Steve Maskery, internationally renowned woody superstar (well, occasional freelance writer, anyway).
I should get it tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the reunited pair.
Cheers
Steve
PS I can at least justify the International tag. I have just taken a nice little clock to the PO. Will it get to rural India by next Saturday?

bugbear":35tjvuuq said:
Improving the texture on a surface that is contact with neither hand
Rob Lee":35tjvuuq said:
the rough part of the casting is where I'd put my thumbs when holding the tool.
Fascinating. It doesn't bother BB 'cos I deduce he pushes his shaves, whereas it's right in the wrong place for Rob 'cos it apears he pulls his. Now where does that leave me? I push, but my fingers would be right on the offending spot. No danger of woodworkers getting accused of being all the same, is there?
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Steve, we'll allow international. Oh, and woody. Renowned? Hmm, what about "notorious"...?
biggrin.gif

Well, Postie arrived this morning!
replacement%20(Small).JPG

A big Thank You to Kerry and Martin at Brimarc, and to Rob on these pages. This was dealt with in exactly the way one would hope for - quickly, effectively and graciously. You have a very happy customer.

Thanks to everyone else here who contributed comments too. It's interesting to see different resposes, from not batting an eyelid to my own, and everything else in between.

Now all I have to do is to learn to use them skillfully...

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
I found on harder timbers using the supplied shims to close the mouth down helps a lot. The mouth is pretty tight anyway, but it cut down on chattering with mine considerably.
Hope this helps,
Enjoy
Philly :D

Back