Veritas Scraper Plane Insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that it could be considered blasfamous But are they any good, its just that I have a no. 4 going spare, and well you know the rest.

Bean

I remember looking at them a while back. Didn't quite know what to make of them.. this was back in the days when budget was minimal and the tool purchace list was huge... I ended up waiting a while before buying the #112.. Never did find out if the insert had potential...

I love my scraper plane and would think that this is just as good, so go for it :wink:

I've not tried the insert, but I'm afraid everything I've heard has been lukewarm to downright rude about it. :( I think the key question to ask yourself here must be "If the insert is any good, why make a dedicated scraper plane?"
Opinion unchanged - still haven't tried one. :) The very fact that BriMarc have them at a lower price with the ominous words "limited stock" is suggestive though...

Cheers, Alf

I have one somewhere. It's horrible in my view. The very thin blade flutters and creates a lovely washboard effect. It maybe just my inablity to use the thing ( I last used it many moons ago) or the design but I can't recommend it.

Alf":3mufu3tq said:
I've not tried the insert, but I'm afraid everything I've heard has been lukewarm to downright rude about it. :( I think the key question to ask yourself here must be "If the insert is any good, why make a dedicated scraper plane?"
Opinion unchanged - still haven't tried one. :) The very fact that BriMarc have them at a lower price with the ominous words "limited stock" is suggestive though...

Cheers, Alf

Hi -

Not ominous... just that we haven't made them for awhile now...

We first produced this insert before we made planes, or even the the #80 scraping plane.

It does operate as advertised - but is not suited to taking heavy cuts - where it will chatter. It's a finesse tool that will perform a limted function well - and if that's your requirement, then it's appropriate!

You can also use a replacement blade for standard bench plane - and regrind it (to 45 degrees or more), use it bevel up, and burnish to replicate the same function...but you have to do so accurately.

What the scraper insert allows is a some flexibility in getting the hook at the appropriate angle, as it can be varied...

It's not a panacea for scraping - but does have a purpose!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, I came up with all sorts of amusing repartee, but it's not fair. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. :wink:

Seriously though, this:
Rob Lee":10vj9zff said:
It does operate as advertised - but is not suited to taking heavy cuts
doesn't really go with this:
Lee Valley Website":10vj9zff said:
The thicker (0.024") blades are useful for heavier stock removal
Reading that blurb on the site I'd get the idea it was suitable for more than just "finesse". I mean "heavier" could mean anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's assumed it meant more than just "fractionally heavier than a gossamer thin shaving".

Just like this:
The insert, while it does work well, has a much steeper learning curve....
doesn't entirely equate to this:
Lee Valley Website":10vj9zff said:
It is a pleasure to use
Maybe "it's a pleasure to use, once you have the knack"? Personally I think, based on the blurb about it, we're more than entitled to say it's no bloomin' good. Now if you changed the blurb it'd still be no bloomin' good, but at least we wouldn't have unreasonable expectations for it... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":834n2wxa said:
waterhead37":834n2wxa said:
No-one will doubt your impartiality now!
Too harsh you think? :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Nope; if these folks want the kudos of praise and support for their better products then they must learn to live with the brick bats for the poorer examples.
At least then we can all avoid having any more of those "useful gadgets" buried in the corner that we would not have the nerve to pass on to some other unfortunate.

Alf":3diwef5e said:
Rob, I came up with all sorts of amusing repartee, but it's not fair. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. :wink:

Seriously though, this:
Rob Lee":3diwef5e said:
It does operate as advertised - but is not suited to taking heavy cuts
doesn't really go with this:
Lee Valley Website":3diwef5e said:
The thicker (0.024") blades are useful for heavier stock removal
Reading that blurb on the site I'd get the idea it was suitable for more than just "finesse". I mean "heavier" could mean anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's assumed it meant more than just "fractionally heavier than a gossamer thin shaving".

Just like this:
The insert, while it does work well, has a much steeper learning curve....
doesn't entirely equate to this:
Lee Valley Website":3diwef5e said:
It is a pleasure to use
Maybe "it's a pleasure to use, once you have the knack"? Personally I think, based on the blurb about it, we're more than entitled to say it's no bloomin' good. Now if you changed the blurb it'd still be no bloomin' good, but at least we wouldn't have unreasonable expectations for it... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf -

Enjoyed the reply - but trying to stay in business means one has to comment on the performance aspects of a product on the tool-side of the handle, not the "other" side of the handle.... :lol:

I'll go as far as saying it's not for everyone...hows that? :roll:

Not saying that your barrel doesn't have fish in it... but much of what's said about the scraper insert (and there have been other models on the market) would apply equally to a scraper plane...it has a steeper learning curve... and is a pleasure to use. Of course, there aren't a lot of less-experienced "scrapers" (as in scraper users) that'd punt on tool with that price tag - where there are with a scraper insert...and that's the "disconnect" we have with the tool... There are many who really like it, though I'll concede - not as many as we'd like... :lol:

There're a number of ways to do the same function, ranging in cost from free to 100+ pounds, and from no experience required to you'd better know exactly what you're doing...

Inexpensive doesn't always equate to "entry level", nor does a high price tag always represent the acme of performance - though that's often how products are viewed...

I do get what you're trying to say though.... even if I don't agree 100% with all of it. That's what great about having choices :)

<mixed metaphor warning on>

Just as you "vote" with your dollars - we stand behind our candidates...recognizing that not everyone votes the same way....and some continue to vote the way their parents did .... and so on...

'Course we let take back back your vote and vote again...(wouldn't THAT be great in the political world?)

And when a candidate doesn't get enough votes... we don't run them again (though their name still shows on the ballot for awhile...)

<mixed metaphor warning off>

Now I can see I'm out of sequence with the replies, so better punch "Submit" ....

So - while it isn't as universally usable as our normal offereings, if it didn't work - we wouldn't sell it.

Cheers -

Rob

Yeah, okay. I wouldn't expect you to do anything but defend your candidate. :D Of course not. Equally I wouldn't expect you to sell it if it didn't work (there are plenty of other options for that kind of tool buying... :roll: ). I just feel the way it's sold is a tiny bit more misleading than perhaps it has to be for the purposes of selling it. But as a passing Canadian recently said; I do get what you're trying to say though.... even if I don't agree 100% with all of it. :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. That metaphor wasn't even slightly shaken up, never mind mixed :wink:

Alf":2blvsula said:
(snip) I just feel the way it's sold is a tiny bit more misleading than perhaps it has to be for the purposes of selling it. But as a passing Canadian recently said; I do get what you're trying to say though.... even if I don't agree 100% with all of it. :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. That metaphor wasn't even slightly shaken up, never mind mixed :wink:

...If we can agree on "overenthusiastic" for "misleading", I'll tip over my King... :wink: :lol:

Rob

Rob Lee":s15qhw7i said:
...If we can agree on "overenthusiastic" for "misleading", I'll tip over my King... :wink: :lol:
Aww, go on then. :roll: :lol:

Chris, too true. Makes me feel like a heel on a regular basis. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

I see David Charlesworth has a bit on it in the first of his "Bibles", if anyone is interested.
Cheers
Useless Information Philly :roll:

waterhead37":2zj2vo5d said:
I'll say this for Rob, He not only sells nice tools, he has nice manners. If there ever was a company that deserved my dollar his is it!

Refreshing isn't it.

Back