• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Veritas (or any other reliable) Dowel Maker 1/2“ - 5/8“ or 12 mm to 16 mm dia range.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a reliable dowel maker for making dowels between 12 mm and 16mm or 1/2“ - 5/8“ for my next project where I'm going to be draw boarding a ton. Anyone not using theirs and are willing to sell or are happy to lend for a fee, please get in touch.

Veritas prefer, but not essential as long as it chucks out repeatable results.
1659758415549.png

Thanks.

That's not for making drawbore pins, but for cutting tapered round tenons in chair parts. If you want to make pins for drawboring, a chisel is best.

IMG_5630.JPG

Are you sure, Adam. I just went and checked the details on Axminster website and read the reviews. There is one here:
1659783367463.png

This seems to indicate it is in fact a dowel maker. Do you think they used the wrong picture?

Would I need a long taper for draw boarding? I have never done it before. I thought I only get the front end of it a bit pointy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you sure, Adam. I just went and checked the details on Axminster website and read the reviews. There is one here:
View attachment 141133
This seems to indicate it is in fact a dowel maker. Do you think they used the wrong picture?
Yes, I'm sure.

I've got one, it doesn't make drawbore pins as the taper isn't long enough.

The picture I posted above is of a load of riven drawbore pins for oak furniture.

Here....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...awboring.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3MdqJ2ASm_DY5tWz50-LGw

Last edited:
Adam, do you freehand them or use a holding jig of some sort?

Used a shave horse and draw knife for big ones for timber framing but never made any small ones

Say how long your pegs are going to be and maybe some more of the context. Maybe the Veritas would be ok ...? It's a nice tool.

For hand shaping, I'd be tempted to make a block with a vee-groove along the top & a little stop at the end, put it in a vice, and use a block plane.

Maybe you want a peg that perfectly fills a round hole at the surface of the wood? More info needed!

Adam, do you freehand them or use a holding jig of some sort?

Used a shave horse and draw knife for big ones for timber framing but never made any small ones
They are made freehand with a 2" bench chisel, like you Tris, I make the framing ones on a shave horse. I get bored making pegs, so it's 10-15 a day at the beginning of the morning with a cup of tea, then I can get on with the other stuff.

I whittle the furniture pegs down to fit with a knife when I bash it all together at the end.

Hi all, I am looking for a reliable dowel maker for making dowels between 12 mm and 16mm or 1/2“ - 5/8“ for my next project where I'm going to be draw boarding a ton. Anyone not using theirs and are willing to sell or are happy to lend for a fee, please get in touch.

View attachment 141121

Thanks.

Are you sure you need to draw bore? It's useful in very particular situations but gets a bit overused nowadays!
Most common (only?) architectural joinery use is for stair string to newel post.
It isn't innately stronger but helps to pull together things difficult to clamp.
Very often they were just riven roughly square, pointed and hammered in, getting squashed into a round shape in the process so you can't always tell they started square.
Drilling a round hole is easy, making a round peg is less so.
Riving is good because it follows the grain and makes them tougher.
There's a neat axe technique for small riven items without risking your fingers - you hold the workpiece with a bit of offcut carefully placed to guide the axe. I'll see if I can find the photos!
PS found them. You can cut and shape an end grain piece quite nicely with a joiner's axe:

axe2 copy.jpg
axe3 copy.jpg

Your pin needs to be at least twice as long as needed - so the tapered bit goes right through and the parallel sided bit stays in the hole.
Another trad dowel device is the dowel plate whereby you hammer your riven piece through a hole in a steel plate to shape it. Probably a lot quicker than "cutting" them with a gadget.
Another trad draw-bore device is the "draw bore pin" which pulls the pieces together before you hammer in the actual dowel/peg thing

Last edited:

View attachment 141121

Thanks.
Hi

I've only got the 9.6mm Veritas one, which produces excellent, parallel dowels .
If I need a taper they go in a drill and get the sandpaper out.
I'm in South bucks if you want to borrow

Back