Veritas Mk2 Honing Guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Lee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Mod edit: split from another thread.

Alf":3flzdm4m said:
(snip) But it is useless for wider blades; you can't physically get them into it. You need to buy additional jigs for wider blades, as you say. So I believe actually we agree, apart from maybe a willingness or not to spend money on addition honing guides... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Yeah - better wait for this one....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg1.jpg

... it has waay more capacity.... and "doodahs" too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, yip, lots of doodahs and traffic lights too......
So, when and how much? US$ will do and I'll multiply by 2ish.

Rgds

Noel, who likes a bit of bait for lunch....

Rob,

That is a fascinating picture! Will it use the correct side of the blade for registration (ie unlike nearly every honing guide out there at the moment - which use the wrong side)? It looks as if it just might and that would be a huge plus in my mind.

Holy doodahs, Batman :shock:

Back bevels?! You've gone bevel-up crazy and now you're providing means for accurate back bevels? Far out, man. 8) Okay, so I didn't believe you, but my interest is slightly engaged... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Noel":13a83kue said:
Rob, yip, lots of doodahs and traffic lights too......
So, when and how much? US$ will do and I'll multiply by 2ish.

Rgds

Noel, who likes a bit of bait for lunch....

Hi Noel -

Please don't let Martin see this thread.... :shock:

Pricing hasn't been finalised yet - heck, we don't even get a pre-production approval casting for the last part until the end of next week. This guide has the most complex tooling we've ever done...

My guess is it'll certainly be no more than 5-8 pounds more than the current one... but pls forget that asap!

When is either soon.... or much much later. My guess there is "soon". We expect to approve the last mold next week, and if we do - it rolls immediately into production. We'll make sure Brimarc get some quickly!

So - probably June would be safe....

Cheers -

Rob

waterhead37":2e9b43vf said:
Rob,

That is a fascinating picture! Will it use the correct side of the blade for registration (ie unlike nearly every honing guide out there at the moment - which use the wrong side)? It looks as if it just might and that would be a huge plus in my mind.

Hi -

It uses the back, cutting edge, and a portion of one side to register....

Will take a #8 plane blade too....

Cheers -

Rob

Alf":c3s4kvmt said:
Holy doodahs, Batman :shock:

Back bevels?! You've gone bevel-up crazy and now you're providing means for accurate back bevels? Far out, man. 8) Okay, so I didn't believe you, but my interest is slightly engaged... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Perhaps.... one might have an early opportunity to try one....if one had connections....

Ta -

Rob

Hi Rob

Since they are all wetting themselves already, why not show them all the pictures and let them make a complete mess of themselves!! :twisted:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hmm, is Derek getting insider info? :-k Or isn't this the UK Workshop exclusive I hoped it was...? :? Anyway, I'll just go and divide this thread and give this half a better title so there's no excuse... :p [There, all done]

Cheers, Alf

P.S. One wouldn't presume to have connections :-#

Alf

Just from where do you get those marvelous Emoticons?! They do not appear to be on this message site. Your posts are illustrated so well and ...uh... emotively :roll: I love reading your replies almost as much for these as for your insightful info.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alf

Just from where do you get those marvelous Emoticons?! They do not appear to be on this message site. Your posts are illustrated so well and ...uh... emotively :roll: I love reading your replies almost as much for these as for your insightful info.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek -

Once you do this for awhile
eusa_wall.gif
you should be able to find 'em.

But
eusa_shhh.gif
- maybe it's a secret....

Cheers -

Rob

Alf":kuw66fhd said:
Hmm, is Derek getting insider info? :-k Or isn't this the UK Workshop exclusive I hoped it was...? :? Anyway, I'll just go and divide this thread and give this half a better title so there's no excuse... :p [There, all done]

Cheers, Alf

P.S. One wouldn't presume to have connections :-#

Gosh - that was some trick...

Guess it's OK to put up two other images....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg3.jpg

The flat "doodah" on the front comes off... it's the projection setting/squaring jig....and that's all you're getting from me [-( ... until the 18th anyway... 8-[

Cheers -

Rob

Just from where do you get those marvelous Emoticons?! They do not appear to be on this message site.
:sign3: (Nothing personal... :wink: )
Oh yes they are... Try "View more Emoticons" under the Emoticons in the Post a Reply window.

Your posts are illustrated so well and ...uh... emotively :roll: I love reading your replies almost as much for these as for your insightful info.
Ah, I feared as much. The content isn't a patch on the presentation... :|

Rob Lee":2kekyu9f said:
Gosh - that was some trick...
I also do sawing a board in half and making alcoholic beverages disappear...

The flat "doodah" on the front comes off...
Well "duh". :roll:

it's the projection setting/squaring jig....and that's all you're getting from me [-(
Well double "duh" #-o So the traffic lights adjust the position of the clamp in relation to the wheel...? That's interesting. :-k

... until the 18th anyway... 8-[
18th of what...? :-s

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3jbnm4mw said:
(snip)Well double "duh" #-o So the traffic lights adjust the position of the clamp in relation to the wheel...? That's interesting. :-k

Rob Lee":3jbnm4mw said:
... until the 18th anyway... 8-[
18th of what...? :-s

Cheers, Alf

Ok... I can do that too..... [-X

The "traffic lights" don't adjust anything :roll: .... they indicate how one has set the "coarse" guide adjustment (the guide has a two-piece frame)...

I hope the 18th of April... but if there's a mold issue, I'll pretend I meant May.... :whistle:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":2zgfbfvl said:
The "traffic lights" don't adjust anything :roll: .... they indicate how one has set the "coarse" guide adjustment (the guide has a two-piece frame)...
Yeah, all right, all right. Just like traffic lights don't stop traffic, they just indicate it should stop... :roll: Picky.

Derek, have I created a monster? 8-[ They weren't all there all along; we've had a recent forum upgrade and move to a new server. Worth checking out the Site Updates etc forum occasionally and you never know what delights you'll find. :D

Cheers, Alf

Looks interesting: judging by the 'Dewalt-esque' colours, I presume at least one of the knobs tunes the built in radio? :lol:

At the risk of being called "lyn-esque" I would love an interchangeable roller.

For curved (e.g. scrub plane) blades, it's very useful to be able to tilt
whilst sharpening. This is easy with the current Eclipse model, and even easier with an old Marple guide I own, which has a crowned roller...

A narrow crowned roller on a suitably long axle would be a nice (cost-plus) option, for us unusual-blade owners.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back