Veritas mini tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the veritas range of miniture tools again, wondering if there was anything in that range that would actually be of use, and not just a novelty gimmick.

So has anyone bought any of them would likely to give a review, lend an opinion ?.

I thought their mini chisels, which are PM-V11 steel, and normally that comes in about 80 quid a chisel. Thought I could redo those with longer handles and maybe get better use of them.
also the router plane, which appears to be about the same size as a Stanley 'granny's tooth' thought that might be an idea too, as I like veritas, which seems of high quality, plus unlike their small router plane, has full depth adjustment. The others seem to small to actually be of use.

I use the block plane to put a tiny bevel on my laminate work but it could easily be done with a normal low angle block plane. Looks cool though.

The diddy chisels are handy for getting into awkward spaces. And a fiddle to sharpen.

I have the miniature router plane (came as part of a job lot). It’s OK’ish for fine tuning say small hinge mortises for boxes but the blade locking screw does tend to come loose so you have to regularly tighten it. I’m not sure I’d buy one from new unless I had a project where I didn’t have the space to use a chisel.

I have the miniature shoulder plane. It's really useful for tidying up binding channels on ukuleles and guitars.

I'd guess it might also be useful for tiny boxes, or dolls house furniture.

I have the mini shoulder plane, and I think one of the other mini tools.

I can tell you for sure that I have no idea where they are in this house and I wouldn't take a 50/50 bet that I could find one within 15 minutes.

That gives you an idea of how much use they get.

I do have a stanley 271 that I've used a fair bit. Things of that sort (joinery planes and router planes and such), I don't see the draw of premium tools. When you get to itty bitty stuff, I'm out, too. I've built a few guitars (as was mentioned above), but tend to use files, floats or chisels to clean areas where anything that small would otherwise be used (there's still a market or other guitar and violin related metal tools, generally a little more coarsely made, but less expensive)

I have fancied the mini cabinet scraper for quite some time now, the no80 is one of my favourite tools, but sometimes it's too big, not sure how well the mini one would hold up, if anyone has used it let me know how it performs.

I have fancied the mini cabinet scraper for quite some time now, the no80 is one of my favourite tools, but sometimes it's too big, not sure how well the mini one would hold up, if anyone has used it let me know how it performs.
Crazy pricing on that mini cabinet scraper. The No80 is about half the price of the mini one. So I know which I'd go for

Bought the mini shoulder plane some years ago. Don't use it everyday, but for quick cleaning up of narrow grooves and rebate corners, it's fine.

Back