Veritas honing guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've bought one of the above but seem to have a problem. It hones the primary bevel at right angles to the side of the iron perfectly, but when I reset the roller to hone the secondary bevel it cuts on one side of the blade. I have tried resetting the iron to cut the secondary bevel and get good results, so it would seem to be a fault in the concentric roller mechanism. Any members out there with experience of this gizmo, please advise me before I ask for a replacement .

Have you made sure you have tightened up the clamps so the blade is flat in the clamp?? It is easy to tighten one more than the other, making the blade tilt.
I've never had a problem as you describe-any more details?
Philly :D

Just had another thought-do you use a different stone when honing the secondary bevel???
Maybe it needs flattening?
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Philly, I'm using the scary sharp method on 10mm glass and if I reset the blade projection to do the secondary bevel rather than use the concentric roller it works fine.

Hi there

Sorry to hear of the issue. Please post it back directly to BriMarc and we will exchange.

Martin

see brimarc.com for our address

I bought one of these at Yandles in the Autumn, and used it for the first time yesterday. (I haven't been in the workshop much lately!!)

What a wonderful piece of kit. Sharpened all my plane irons and chisels - I now have no hairs left on my left forearm! It took most of the afternoon, as due to the fact that I have previously honed by hand, none of the angles were exactly 25 degrees, so required a fair amount of work to get them back. Hopefully they shouldn't need that doing again, and in future I am hoping it will be a few minutes work to re-sharpen, rather than 20 minutes per blade!

However, my guide seems to have the same problem as Soapy's. When I alter the roller to cut the secondary bevel, it cuts it at a slight angle compared with the primary.

Note to Martin Brown - I will be at Yandles show on the 8the - can I bring it back for a swap?

Regards

Gary

Please do and we will look into this. We will just exchange on the day. For info I will ask Rob to comment and reply here if required.

I won't be a Yandles, except maybe on the Friday so please see my colleague David Whiteside.

Thanks and apologies.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

Will do - no need to apologise - it isn't a major issue, and certainly not your fault.

Thanks for the prompt reply - another example of Brimarc's superb customer service.

Many thanks.

Gary

Back