• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Veritas dowel cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Veritas recently introduced their dowel and tenon cutters in 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2".

Does anyone know if they plan to introduce a 1/4" cutter? I need to make dowels for some draw bore mortise & tenons but I really don't want to do a 3/8" draw bore.

I'm making a bed out of maple and I'm using mortise & tenon joints. I want to use maple dowels for my draw bores but 1/4" maple dowels are a little hard to find. Also, in future projects when I use draw boring, it'd be nice to be able to make my own dowels for different woods.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
If you look on the web site you can see they have plans for a 5/8" and a 9/16" cutter. Too bad. I guess you'll have to roll your own. Bean was saying how he makes dowel cutters by filing a nut. There's also a wooden version you can make.

A

Anonymous

For draw bore pins, I prefer to use a dowel plate. You can buy one from LN(which is nice hardened steel) or just drill a hole in a piece of mild steel as I did. The mild steel wears quickly but you can pein around the hole to create a burr that will keep you going awhile longer. After awhile you just have throw the plate on the old post drill and drill a new hole.
Split a piece of wood to rough size (this ensures you have long grain running through the dowel which is important for draw bore pins), whittle down to a little oversize and drive through the plate. Green wood is great for making the pins and driving into the draw bore but dry wood will work.

PS: After writing this, I saw there was an article by David Charlesworthon the LN site which does a much better job of explaining this. That dowel plate just might be my first LN tool!

Latest posts