veritas custom plane, need opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting the veritas custom plane, specifically the no 4 1/2 with a 55 degree pitch frog for the purpose of using it for difficult figured grain, I am impressed so far from what I've seen so far.

I could make a wooden plane at 55 degree pitch but I am not certain a hock blade will be good enough, it is a much cheaper option but will wear out over time and it's only limited to one specific job, also constant adjusting with a hammer and checking to make sure it stays flat.

One of the things putting me off the veritas a bit is the norris style adjuster, how much better is PMV11 to O1 steel? so far I have really liked the O1 steel I have used on my old stanleys and records because it's much easier to sharpen, bearing in mind I use diamond stones and a strop.

so I suppose the question is make a wooden one or get the veritas as a long term investment? bearing in mind it's going to get used a lot.

So if any of you own the veritas custom planes what are your thoughts on it? are they worth what they cost?

regards,

Ben.

I only have some shoulder planes and a low angle from them. Personally I don't like the Norris - it is way too sensitive for me (you can get a finer pitch from them though). I do like the PMV11 irons though - hold an edge nicely and aren't quite so annoying to sharpen as A2.

What's wrong with the Bailey's ?
Why do you think you need a higher pitched bed than that?
I suggest another Bailey or two so you can have reduced cap iron influence, and full influenced settings so you will never get tearout again.
There's no need for a higher bed.
Nothing hard about learning how to set it, you just have to be waaay more precise with the camber to get things nice.

Never had a piece of Iroko or anything else I've had, stand up to the cap iron.
Thats planing in either direction, which I normally do...ie not have to flip 8 foot planks around.

thanks tom but I completely disagree that you don't need different pitch angles.

I am working with flamed ash, tiger oak, curly cherry, the usual 45 degree pitch planes simply do not work, there is always tearout even with the finest mouth and tightest cap iron.

that's why I need a 55 degree frog :x

have you ever tried planing highly figured woods? and using a normal bailey plane?

Highly figured tropical stuff all the time/only, against the grain on one face and edge.
Using the reduced setting for this.
The amount of camber on the finest setting you need is basically invisible on a no.4, paired with the cap when looked at closely.
The reduced tearout setting what works for most of the time is only bearly noticeable at close range (1 foot) when paired with the cap.
You can't detect a camber on the reduced setting without pairing with the straight cap, definitely not from 4 or 5 feet away, and my eyesight is good.
Give it another go it wont fail, you might think you are getting more tearout but it will go away, and that won't be at the finest setting, you probably won't get to that stage until you realise how well it works.
Make sure your mouth is open, set the frog all the way back.
The finest setting will be very shiny (actually reflective) and smooth like glass.

Im interested to read some feedback too. Considering to get a #4 and let go my low angle smoothing plane.

On a side note, almost all my planes are PMV11, and I quite like it. I find it a bit easier to sharpen compared to A2 but hold an edge much longer than O1. And works fine with diamond plates.

I have the exact plane you describe. I have had it for over two years and I recently also invested in a Veritas Bevel Up Smoother.
As far as the custom plane goes I only have the 4 1/2 with the 55 degree frog and enjoy using it having recently built a King size bed in White Oak which had some tricky grain reversing in places. I like the ease of adjusting the mouth almost on the fly which is common to almost all Veritas planes, I like the weight and feel of the plane as well. I am sure you could accomplish the same with a decent bailey style or even a wooden plane with a back bevel but since gradually investing in better quality planes I use them more and machines much less. Most of my recent work is in American White Oak, Rock Maple and currently a garden gate in Iroko. I only use PM-V11 plane irons now, the Veritas irons hold a sharp edge for a decent time and sharpen up fine with my diamond plates I have some photos below. Value for money is a more difficult question and comes down to how you want to spend your money and your available budget. Most of the higher quality hand tools hold their value reasonably well over time so you should not lose much if you decide to sell it in the future.
Best regards
Nigel

Veritas Custom Plane
q2B5O0lFQ5Cjc+IdjrrXhQ.jpg

Other planes
Planes.jpg

Attachments

• q2B5O0lFQ5Cjc+IdjrrXhQ.jpg
    q2B5O0lFQ5Cjc+IdjrrXhQ.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 451
  • Planes.jpg
    Planes.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 424
thanks nigel, out of interest have you tried the other 45 and 40 degree frogs? I have decided for now to make a krenov style wooden plane, I hope I don't regret it, the advantage being I can make it at a custom angle, the hock blades aren't cheap but I've heard they're amazing so we'll see :D

Noho12C":17w7ldwx said:
Im interested to read some feedback too. Considering to get a #4 and let go my low angle smoothing plane.

On a side note, almost all my planes are PMV11, and I quite like it. I find it a bit easier to sharpen compared to A2 but hold an edge much longer than O1. And works fine with diamond plates.

that's good to know, thanks.

Inspector":4usybnj4 said:
You could try the wood body plane kit LV sell. It would let you play with the PM-V11 steel and the adjuster without spending the cash on the custom. You could also make a few bodies with different frog angles and switch the hardware to see which you like the best.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 1182,46334
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 1182,46334

Just trying to confuse you with choices. :)
Pete

:D
I did look into that, in the end I went for hock, the kit that includes a chip breaker and blade, it arrived today so there's no turning back.

thetyreman":1e6qamoy said:
thanks nigel, out of interest have you tried the other 45 and 40 degree frogs? I have decided for now to make a krenov style wooden plane, I hope I don't regret it, the advantage being I can make it at a custom angle, the hock blades aren't cheap but I've heard they're amazing so we'll see :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the hock iron. I bought one about 13 years to fit in a 5 1/2 and it was great, worth the money imo.

Back