Veritas Carpenters Gauge alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGIvy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a video where the guy used something similar to a Veritas Carpenters Gauge, except it didn’t have a pencil holder. Basically had a short bar that you could draw a lime along using a free pencil or pen.
Does anyone know what it is called so I can Google it?

05N3601L.jpg

I just use a flat piece of thin wood, with a hole for a brad awl or spike (or nail) and a hole for the pencil. Basically free.

If you need a pencil line parallel but close to an edge, you can just grip the pencil at the right spot and run your fingertips along the wood. Surprisingly accurate, and easy to store.

If you need a pencil line parallel but close to an edge, you can just grip the pencil at the right spot and run your fingertips along the wood. Surprisingly accurate, and easy to store.

Indeed. The wise check for splinters first, though! :) It's difficult to do accurately over about 2" from the edge.

They are adjustable callipers, but I have never seen them with T shape ends like that.
His working practices on the table saw are an accident waiting to happen. That joint is quick and easy to cut by hand.

Thanks for all the help folks, decided to use a simple combination square. When I win the lottery I'll splash out on a $200 scriber gauge that was probably made for $3.99 in China.

That’s a crazy amount of money when you can just drill a hole through the other end of your marking gauge for a pencil, that’s what I did, 44 years ago and I’m still using it today. It did get a little slack at one point so I fastened a mouse tail of leather in there. God I didn’t realise I was so tight ! Ian

Back