Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Veritas Carpenters Gauge alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RGIvy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I recently saw a video where the guy used something similar to a Veritas Carpenters Gauge, except it didn’t have a pencil holder. Basically had a short bar that you could draw a lime along using a free pencil or pen.
Does anyone know what it is called so I can Google it?

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
05N3601L.jpg

I just use a flat piece of thin wood, with a hole for a brad awl or spike (or nail) and a hole for the pencil. Basically free.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
If you need a pencil line parallel but close to an edge, you can just grip the pencil at the right spot and run your fingertips along the wood. Surprisingly accurate, and easy to store.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
If you need a pencil line parallel but close to an edge, you can just grip the pencil at the right spot and run your fingertips along the wood. Surprisingly accurate, and easy to store.
Indeed. The wise check for splinters first, though! :) It's difficult to do accurately over about 2" from the edge.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
They are adjustable callipers, but I have never seen them with T shape ends like that.
His working practices on the table saw are an accident waiting to happen. That joint is quick and easy to cut by hand.

RGIvy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's called a scriber gauge, like this one. A combination square can be used to do essentially the same thing
Thanks, that's the one. $200 is a LOT of money. I hate buying from Bangood (China) but you can get them for £23.

Eshmiel

Established Member
Reaction score
Panel gauge? Here's a Marples:

Point at one end or pencil at the other.

Eshmiel

RGIvy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help folks, decided to use a simple combination square. When I win the lottery I'll splash out on a $200 scriber gauge that was probably made for $3.99 in China.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s a crazy amount of money when you can just drill a hole through the other end of your marking gauge for a pencil, that’s what I did, 44 years ago and I’m still using it today. It did get a little slack at one point so I fastened a mouse tail of leather in there. God I didn’t realise I was so tight ! Ian