Veritas Cabinet Scraper & Jointer/Edger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Veritas Cabinet Scraper and their Jointer/Edger sharpening tool, and i was wondering if any of the members have tried or owned any of them?

I have read Alf's excellent review on the scraper, and i am now looking for other views, especially on the jointer/edger.

Regards

Woody

Hi Woody

I have the #80 cabinet scraper and find it excellent but I'm afraid I can't help you with the other one.

All the best

woody i got mine from lee valley for $68 for the kit , i havent used the kit yet but it looks the biz.the number is 05k33.20.

frank

You are welcome to order these from any BriMarc stockist knowing if you have any doubts you can easily receive a full refund. They can also arrange direct delivery.<p> Axminster and Rutlands for example stock all lines (you can pick the file up anywhere). Email me if you need other stockists.

Woody,

I keep coming close to pulling the trigger on the jointer/edger but in truth I can't bring myself to spend the money when the block of wood and wedge I'm currently using work fine. I came really, really close when the wedge slipped and I unexpectedly found myself trying to top the teeth on a back saw with the palm of my hand mind you, but hey, skin grows back. :roll: :lol: I've no doubt it works though; not much to go wrong. My opinion of the #80 you already know.

Cheers, Alf

I've got the #80 as well. It works fine. I've almost no comment to make. It just works.

I've even found an action shot! (its ash and had some visually nice grain which gave me evil tearout!)

38494725.jpg

Adam

Hi

I know this thread's rather old, but FWIW I thought I would add my own comments. Despite agonising over the extra cost of the Veritas #80 when compared with a new Stanley equivalent (or even secondhand ones on Ebay), I was largely influenced by Alf's review :wink:, and so I bought the Veritas earlier in the summer. A few days after it was delivered, Good Woodworking Issue 177 arrived on the doorstep - it included a very positive review of the Veritas (compared with the Stanley equivalent) - phew! Anyway, I got it going, and at first I preferred it to my card scraper.

I'll get to the point. I happened to be in Axminster's showroom to sort out a machinery problem. I had to walk past some cabinets containing bronze and ductile iron goodies, so I just needed a ... er ... little consolation prize to take home. So I bought the jointer edger. Yes I know you can get the same results using a home-made jig, but I think it was 11 quid well spent. I used it on the #80 blade and on the card scraper (accompanied by the usual final honing/burnishing). and they now both work a treat - lovely feathery shavings just like in Adam's picture above. :D

Les

Hi Woody,

I have both. They are very well made and well worth the money in my view. They'll probably last for ever, so quite cheap really :wink:

Paul

Well designed, well made, useful tools )the case with everything I have so far from Veritas). Haven't used them hugely as haven't been doing any projects needing a scraper.

Ike

Back