Veritas BUS or the Veritas Low Angle Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Again some advise on a low angle smoother. I know a few of your have used both and may own both but i don't have the money to stretch to both (yet :wink: ) so would like the pro's and con's on both models.

Thanks again

Andy

Hi Andy,

a very non-expert view here, but if I were you I would get the BUS - you would then have blade compatibility with the LA Jack & BU jointer just in case you slip further down the slope :wink:

Cheers,
Neil

Andy,

LAS - #4-sized, straight sides so useable for shooting

BUS - #4.5-sized, no good for shooting, compatible irons with the BUPP and BUT (as Neil rightly says)

For a dedicated smoother, the BUS is infill performance at a pittance (don't tell Rob or he might put the price up :-$ ). For more flexibility, the LAS makes a rather nice shooting plane, and is preferable if you prefer a smaller/lighter plane anyway. Either way, I can't see you being unhappy, and if you were then Martin/Rob would sort you out in a brace of shakes anyway. A win-win situation. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies.

Alf, I have been ready your reviews AGAIN, and like the idea of using the plane on a shooting board as well.

This is hopefully get ordered today but with christmas and late post etc will expect delivery around 7th Feb, which is just in time for my birthday :wink:

Andy

Latest posts

Back