Veritas Bench Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Derek

Since you're my mate...I promised not to say anything bad about these chisels...

And I needn't have worried anyway...they are diamond my friend. Then I read of your involvement and it didn't surprise me in the least that I admired them visually...as your craft is right there in the centre of my preferred design view.

I like the 01 steel...always have...and I am not averse to trying PM-VII out of curiosity though I probably would never take advantage of it...and I certainly could "make do" with the traditional steel.

I knew one day I would regret taking the top flat off of my Marples rehandle design.....

DSC_0179.JPG

.....and changing to traditional rounded ends...and since they are so cheap...£1 at the most...I can afford 250 attempts before I get it right...but I would still like a set of the Veritas one day when I can justify the cost...I do so admire their innovation and the fact that they listen to their customers.

Finally...thanks for posting the box you made mate...now I have another blinkin' project I have to make for the summer...I can't have Mr Cohen protect his chisels in such a fine piece of furniture and leave my little old "Family Marples" languishing on the shelf.... :mrgreen:

Excellent review as we have come to expect from you my friend...I shall be reading it again more slowly later....and studying that box closely! :wink:

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the kind words about the box. I had fun making it. It did not take long although almost all was done by hand. I shall post a separate thread for the details. There is a novel hinge (for me a any rate).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a set of the Veritas chisels sitting on my bench too!

Watch this space

They look very good indeed, and an excellent review too! I have a set of the LN (A2) so could just about justify these as 01... maybe. I know the Lies with hornbeam handles will take some real punishment and I guess the maple would too - the maple is far nicer looking... not sure I would want to hit it.

They are not available yet but should be pretty soon from what I understand

Here is the set I have in my workshop - Hopefully I will get some time to get them out of their boxes today!

DSCF5086.jpg

I will update with my review/comments in a few days but first impressions are that they are very nice chisels

Very nice review but I thought they were going to have the special steel - must be still having production problems?
Going by past pricing they will probably cost the same in £'s as $? which puts them up in the premium range?
I already have too many chisels with AI's, Stanley's, various oldies, LN,s but my chisels of choice are my Blue Steel Matsumura's.

Rod

I've read 2 positive reviews now, thanks for the information, I've bought veritas before planes... Think I'll buy 2 chisels and see how they go. :D

Back